all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* 23.0.50; $TERM in shell-mode buffers
@ 2007-08-31 13:28 raman
From: raman @ 2007-08-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Isuspect this happened right around the time of the multi-tty
checkin.

The TERM environment variable in shell-mode buffers is  now
inheriting its value from emacs' environment, so in my world,
it's either showing up as "linux" at the linux console, or
"screen" when running under screen.

This causes confusion if one runs things like ssh from shell-mode
buffers, because the other end treats it as a true terminal.

Would be nice for shell-mode buffers to go back to using "emacs"
as the terminal type.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20, multi-tty)
 of 2007-08-29 on labrador
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr/local' '--with-gtk' '--with-gpm' '--with-rsvg' '--with-png' '--with-jpeg' '--with-gif''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: nil

Major mode: VM

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  jabber-activity-mode: t
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  dired-omit-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC b C-e w C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n d n q C-e x m ESC m SPC d q ESC m n C-e t C-e
m ESC m C-e x v 2 RET C-l ESC > C-p C-e m C-l ESC >
C-p C-p C-e x v 2 RET C-l ESC > C-p C-p C-l ESC > C-p
C-l ESC > C-p C-l ESC > C-p C-e m C-x @ h s c d RET
c d SPC e m TAB l i TAB e m TAB RET s v n SPC u p d
a t e ; SPC m a k e RET C-x RET m i n i TAB RET C-e
m C-s a d d e ESC b f C-e ESC [ B C-e C-e ESC m f f
b f C-u k C-e l C-e ESC [ B C-e d v C-e ESC [ B C-e
ESC [ B C-e ESC [ B ESC [ 2 3 ~ c d RET c d SPC m p
TAB o l TAB b b TAB a g a TAB h e r c TAB RET l s SPC
a p p TAB RET l s SPC - l SPC a p p TAB RET C-p ESC
> f i l e SPC a p p TAB RET C-p ESC > m p g 3 2 1 SPC
a p p TAB RET C-p ESC > C-c C-c 1 DEL ! m p RET C-c
C-c c d RET C-e ; ~ / m p TAB s s - TAB RET C-e x m
ESC m SPC C-e m k k k k j ' ESC x r e p o r t SPC e
m TAB b TAB RET

Recent messages:
Got mail from ~/Mail/lists/emacs-devel.spool.
Parsing messages... done
31 messages, 31 new, 0 unread, 0 deleted [2 times]
Decoding MIME message...
Decoding quoted-printable... done
Decoding MIME message... done
Auto-saving...
Hid 5  citation lines
Not on a block [3 times]

Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: 23.0.50; $TERM in shell-mode buffers
@ 2007-08-31 13:56 ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-08-31 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

raman <raman@users.sf.net> writes:

> Isuspect this happened right around the time of the multi-tty
> checkin.
>
> The TERM environment variable in shell-mode buffers is  now
> inheriting its value from emacs' environment, so in my world,
> it's either showing up as "linux" at the linux console, or
> "screen" when running under screen.
>
> This causes confusion if one runs things like ssh from shell-mode
> buffers, because the other end treats it as a true terminal.
>
> Would be nice for shell-mode buffers to go back to using "emacs"
> as the terminal type.
>
> In GNU Emacs 23.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20, multi-tty)
>  of 2007-08-29 on labrador

Stefan made a lot of change this morning on the SHELL variable, can you
test if it still fails?

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  Personne n'est la au mauvais moment   |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |           et au mauvais endroit        |

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: 23.0.50; $TERM in shell-mode buffers
@ 2007-08-31 14:44   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-08-31 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michaël Cadilhac; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, raman

>> Isuspect this happened right around the time of the multi-tty
>> checkin.
>>
>> The TERM environment variable in shell-mode buffers is  now
>> inheriting its value from emacs' environment, so in my world,
>> it's either showing up as "linux" at the linux console, or
>> "screen" when running under screen.
>>
>> This causes confusion if one runs things like ssh from shell-mode
>> buffers, because the other end treats it as a true terminal.
>>
>> Would be nice for shell-mode buffers to go back to using "emacs"
>> as the terminal type.
>>
>> In GNU Emacs 23.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20, multi-tty)
>> of 2007-08-29 on labrador

> Stefan made a lot of change this morning on the SHELL variable, can you
> test if it still fails?

You meant "TERM", right? ;-)
Yes, my changes should fix this kind of problem (as well as similar
problems we've been seeing for years now).

* Re: 23.0.50; $TERM in shell-mode buffers
@ 2007-09-01  4:19     ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2007-09-01  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, raman, michael

Indeed, it's fixed. Stefane is a champ.

While on the topic:

normal-erase-is-backspace is not being carried over correctly to
the second tty.

On the Linux console, I've always had to customize
normal-erase-is-backspace to make C-h invoke help -- this despite
having stty erase C-h in my .bash_profile.

If I run emacs  at the Linux console, and launch emacsclient at a
second virtual console, C-h there invokes backspace which is
annoying.

In general, emacs should not require users to customize
normal-erase-is-backspace at all.