all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* loosing selection of region
@ 2007-09-27  9:47 sandro dentella
       [not found] ` <mailman.1386.1190891113.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: sandro dentella @ 2007-09-27  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

  since I moved to ubuntu emacs behave a  little bit different. One of
these differences is very annoying. In many situation I loose the
region definition. E.g.: if I 'indent-rigidly' (bound to C-x C-i)
after the first time I loose the
definition of the region and I cannot go any further.

Similarly, if I mark a point and extend it using C-n, the moment it
arrives at the end of the file it forgets the position of the mark,
and no region gets selected.

Is there some settings that control this?

TIA
sandro
*:-)

* Re: loosing selection of region
@ 2007-09-27 11:05 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1386.1190891113.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-09-27 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: sandro dentella <sandro@e-den.it>
> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 02:47:01 -0700
>
>   since I moved to ubuntu emacs behave a  little bit different. One of
> these differences is very annoying. In many situation I loose the
> region definition. E.g.: if I 'indent-rigidly' (bound to C-x C-i)
> after the first time I loose the
> definition of the region and I cannot go any further.
>
> Similarly, if I mark a point and extend it using C-n, the moment it
> arrives at the end of the file it forgets the position of the mark,
> and no region gets selected.

Does it help if you invoke Emacs with the --no-site-file switch?

@ 2007-09-28  7:10   ` sandro dentella
From: sandro dentella @ 2007-09-28  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 27 Set, 13:05, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: sandro dentella <san...@e-den.it>
> > Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 02:47:01 -0700
>
> >   since I moved to ubuntu emacs behave a  little bit different. One of
> > these differences is very annoying. In many situation I loose the
> > region definition. E.g.: if I 'indent-rigidly' (bound to C-x C-i)
> > after the first time I loose the
> > definition of the region and I cannot go any further.
>
> > Similarly, if I mark a point and extend it using C-n, the moment it
> > arrives at the end of the file it forgets the position of the mark,
> > and no region gets selected.
>
> Does it help if you invoke Emacs with the --no-site-file switch?

Yes it does! in fact it goes back to the behaviour I was used to.
Digging into the /etc/emacs-start.d I found that emacs-extra package
was responsible . Emacs-extra also introduced the annoying color
choice that I needed to overwrite...

The annoying line was: (setq next-line-add-newlines		nil)

Thanks for the hint

sandro
*:-)

* Re: loosing selection of region
@ 2007-09-28  8:38     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-09-28  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: sandro dentella <sandro@e-den.it>
> Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 00:10:41 -0700
>
> > Does it help if you invoke Emacs with the --no-site-file switch?
>
> Yes it does! in fact it goes back to the behaviour I was used to.
> Digging into the /etc/emacs-start.d I found that emacs-extra package
> was responsible . Emacs-extra also introduced the annoying color
> choice that I needed to overwrite...

Yes, Debian-based systems are known for this sneaky featurism.

* Re: loosing selection of region
@ 2007-09-28 15:40     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-09-28 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Yes it does! in fact it goes back to the behaviour I was used to.
> Digging into the /etc/emacs-start.d I found that emacs-extra package
> was responsible . Emacs-extra also introduced the annoying color
> choice that I needed to overwrite...

> The annoying line was: (setq next-line-add-newlines		nil)

Please report it as a bug to your distribution.