all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bazaar question
@ 2010-01-26 21:31 henry atting
From: henry atting @ 2010-01-26 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I find it annoying that I have to grapple with bazaar if I
want to go on building emacs from source. Do I really have to pull
the whole emacs tree starting from the first published sources in the
Roman Empire?

Tried it with `bazaar branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/'
but stopped, unpatiently, after 20 minutes.
Is this the only way to get the latest source?

henry

--
http://literaturlatenight.de

* Re: bazaar question
@ 2010-01-26 21:46 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]   ` <mailman.266.1264552620.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-01-26 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: henry atting; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:31 PM, henry atting <nsmp_01@online.de> wrote:
> I find it annoying that I have to grapple with bazaar if I
> want to go on building emacs from source. Do I really have to pull
> the whole emacs tree starting from the first published sources in the
> Roman Empire?
>
> Tried it with `bazaar branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/'
> but stopped, unpatiently, after 20 minutes.
> Is this the only way to get the latest source?

You can get them from Launchpad too. That is faster since they have
installed the bazaar fast server (or what it is called).

  bzr branch lp:emacs trunk

After that updates are quick (in the trunk subdir):

  bzr update

* Re: bazaar question
@ 2010-01-26 22:39 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2010-01-26 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

henry atting <nsmp_01@online.de> writes:
> I find it annoying that I have to grapple with bazaar if I
> want to go on building emacs from source. Do I really have to pull
> the whole emacs tree starting from the first published sources in the
> Roman Empire?
>
> Tried it with `bazaar branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/'
> but stopped, unpatiently, after 20 minutes.
> Is this the only way to get the latest source?

You can do a lightweight checkout:

bzr checkout -v --lightweight http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk trunk

This takes less than 5min. on my system, fetching roughly 80-90MB of data.

If you don't need any history at all, you can simply get a tar.gz snapshot
from the git mirror:

http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git

-David

* Re: bazaar question
@ 2010-01-27  0:34   ` Óscar Fuentes
       [not found]   ` <mailman.266.1264552620.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-01-27  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

>> Tried it with `bazaar branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/'
>> but stopped, unpatiently, after 20 minutes.
>> Is this the only way to get the latest source?
>

> You can get them from Launchpad too. That is faster since they have
> installed the bazaar fast server (or what it is called).
>
>   bzr branch lp:emacs trunk

The smart server works only if you have a Launchpad account and imported
a public ssh key there. Otherwise, it uses the http transport, the same
Savannah serves.

Using the smart server saves a few minutes (more if you are using a slow
machine).

I don't recommend a lightweight branch. The initial download is
something you need to do only once, and if you want to work on more than
one machine, you can clone your bzr branch from one to another without
downloading again from Savannah. Plus, most version control operations
on a lightweight branch over http are *very* slow, except perhaps
`update', which is about the same.

* Re: bazaar question
       [not found]   ` <mailman.266.1264552620.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-01-27 11:15     ` henry atting
From: henry atting @ 2010-01-27 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mi, Jan 27 2010, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Tried it with `bazaar branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/'
>>> but stopped, unpatiently, after 20 minutes.
>>> Is this the only way to get the latest source?
>>

>> You can get them from Launchpad too. That is faster since they have
>> installed the bazaar fast server (or what it is called).
>>
>>   bzr branch lp:emacs trunk
>
> The smart server works only if you have a Launchpad account and imported
> a public ssh key there. Otherwise, it uses the http transport, the same
> Savannah serves.
>
> Using the smart server saves a few minutes (more if you are using a slow
> machine).
>
> I don't recommend a lightweight branch. The initial download is
> something you need to do only once, and if you want to work on more than
> one machine, you can clone your bzr branch from one to another without
> downloading again from Savannah. Plus, most version control operations
> on a lightweight branch over http are *very* slow, except perhaps
> `update', which is about the same.

I decided against a lightweight branch.
Ddon't know if it was really faster (I don't have a launchpad account),
maybe some minutes. Anyway, the crucial fact that helped me keeping up was
the care of this group :)

Thanks
henry

--

@ 2010-01-27 16:31     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-01-27 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> The smart server works only if you have a Launchpad account and imported
> a public ssh key there. Otherwise, it uses the http transport, the same
> Savannah serves.

IIUC, Bazaar can (transparently to the user) use the smart server
protocol over an HTTP connection, assuming the HTTP server is configured
to do that.
I'd expect Launchpad's HTTP server to be configured accordingly.

        Stefan

PS: Last I heard, the smart server is not helpful to speed up the
initial (heavy) checkout.