all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Distinguish textual modifications from properties-only modifications?
@ 2013-02-23 10:53 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-23 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Changing the text properties makes (buffer-modified-p) to return t.

If a file has been modified outside Emacs after it has been opened
in Emacs, one cannot change the text properties of the buffer without
being asked whether we really want to edit the buffer.

This default looks good to me, but I wonder if there is a way to
get rid of the warning, or to distinguish between text modifications
and properties modifications.

Thanks for any advice,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Distinguish textual modifications from properties-only modifications?
@ 2013-02-23 13:22 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-02-23 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-devel

> This default looks good to me, but I wonder if there is a way to
> get rid of the warning, or to distinguish between text modifications
> and properties modifications.

See `with-silent-modifications'.

* Re: Distinguish textual modifications from properties-only modifications?
@ 2013-02-23 13:59   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-23 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> This default looks good to me, but I wonder if there is a way to
>> get rid of the warning, or to distinguish between text modifications
>> and properties modifications.
>
> See `with-silent-modifications'.

That's it, wonderful, thanks!

--

@ 2013-02-24  0:10   ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-02-24  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-devel

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 08:22:23 -0500
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > This default looks good to me, but I wonder if there is a way to
> > get rid of the warning, or to distinguish between text modifications
> > and properties modifications.
> See `with-silent-modifications'.

And there is also a not-so-perfect way: use overlay.  Because moving an
overlay or changing its properties does not mark the buffer as modified.

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XueFuqiao

* Re: Distinguish textual modifications from properties-only modifications?
@ 2013-02-24  8:19     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-24  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Xue Fuqiao; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 08:22:23 -0500
> Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>
>> > This default looks good to me, but I wonder if there is a way to
>> > get rid of the warning, or to distinguish between text modifications
>> > and properties modifications.
>> See `with-silent-modifications'.
>
> And there is also a not-so-perfect way: use overlay.  Because moving an
> overlay or changing its properties does not mark the buffer as modified.

Yes, but sometimes you can't.

--
 Bastien