all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Multi-language package for ELPA
@ 2013-08-17  8:57 Thomas Järvstrand
From: Thomas Järvstrand @ 2013-08-17  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

I'm developing a package of Erlang development tools for Emacs that I would
like to make available through ELPA (https://github.com/tjarvstrand/edts).

The problem is that a lot of the features require one or more Erlang nodes
with custom code to be running in the background. This Erlang code
obviously has to be compiled as part of the package installation. Is there
any way to accomplish that?

If possible it would probably also be nice to be able to set as
prerequisite that an Erlang distribution is installed on the system
(asserting that there is an erl or erlc on the exec-path should enough).

Best regards
Thomas Järvstrand

* Re: Multi-language package for ELPA
@ 2013-08-18 16:24 ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2013-08-18 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Thomas Järvstrand; +Cc: emacs

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 4:57 AM, Thomas Järvstrand
<tjarvstrand@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm developing a package of Erlang development tools for Emacs that I would
> like to make available through ELPA (https://github.com/tjarvstrand/edts).
>
> The problem is that a lot of the features require one or more Erlang nodes
> with custom code to be running in the background. This Erlang code
> obviously has to be compiled as part of the package installation. Is there
> any way to accomplish that?
>
> If possible it would probably also be nice to be able to set as
> prerequisite that an Erlang distribution is installed on the system
> (asserting that there is an erl or erlc on the exec-path should enough).

I can't be of much help here but I would point you to nrepl.el/nrepl,
SLIME, etc. as examples of this.

The emacs facing portions all know how to communicate with the server
and will simply fail if the server is not there (some in more gracious
ways than others).

At that point ensuring both are there becomes an issue of
documentation rather than a way to package your code directly in your
package.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://blog.twonegatives.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ -- Spend less time on mail

* Re: Multi-language package for ELPA
       [not found] <mailman.231.1376751891.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-08-21  2:45 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-08-21  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'm developing a package of Erlang development tools for Emacs that I would
> like to make available through ELPA (https://github.com/tjarvstrand/edts).

Please submit it to to emacs-devel@gnu.org, via M-x report-emacs-bug, or
directly to me.  We usually welcome new packages in GNU ELPA.

> The problem is that a lot of the features require one or more Erlang nodes
> with custom code to be running in the background. This Erlang code
> obviously has to be compiled as part of the package installation. Is there
> any way to accomplish that?

There is currently no specific support for that, but your package is not
unique in this respect and I'd be happy to extend package.el to provide
better support for that.  Also there are ways to "abuse" the current
system to get what you want, so you don't have to wait for a new
package.el to be widely deployed.