all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 fb7c581: Minor correction to pcase docstring
       [not found] ` <E1aMW9a-0006Yp-It@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2016-01-22 14:46   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-01-22 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: John Wiegley

> +of values.  For example, the pattern (foo bar) matches any two

Hmm...no.

>  meaning they must match exactly: The pattern (\\='foo \\='bar)
>  matches only against two element lists containing the symbols

Hmm...still not.

If you want (...) to mean "the pattern that matches a list ..." then you
need a backquote in front:

  `(foo bar) matches a list containing the symbols `foo' and `bar'.

  `(,foo ,bar) matches any two-element list.

The intuition is that the pattern matches elements that could be the
result of evaluating an expression of the same shape.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 fb7c581: Minor correction to pcase docstring
@ 2016-01-22 17:52     ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-01-22 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> If you want (...) to mean "the pattern that matches a list ..." then you
> need a backquote in front:

Thanks, Stefan, I didn't test fully enough before committing. I didn't realize
that using a list in a pattern always requires a backquote, though I can see
now why it does. I'll fix the docstring.