all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GNU ELPA commit mails
@ 2016-03-28  9:31 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2016-03-28  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

the day before yesterday, I've merged GNU AUCTeX's master branch into
elpa/externals/auctex in preparation for a new release.  That resulted
in about 80 mails being sent to the auctex-devel list, one mail per
merged commit.

We have a separate commit message list auctex-commit@gnu.org.  Where can
I configure that commit messages in the AUCTeX ELPA branch also go to
that list instead of the normal development list auctex-devel?  Or can
somebody do that for us, please?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: GNU ELPA commit mails
@ 2016-03-28 10:02 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2016-03-28 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi all,

Hi Tassilo,

> We have a separate commit message list auctex-commit@gnu.org.  Where can
> I configure that commit messages in the AUCTeX ELPA branch also go to
> that list instead of the normal development list auctex-devel?  Or can
> somebody do that for us, please?

I believe those messages are sent to the Maintainer address as given in
packages/auctex/auctex.el. You could change that address, but this might
not be desired. So your config would need an additional keyword, I believe.

> Bye,
> Tassilo

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: GNU ELPA commit mails
@ 2016-03-28 16:05   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-03-28 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> We have a separate commit message list auctex-commit@gnu.org.  Where can
>> I configure that commit messages in the AUCTeX ELPA branch also go to
>> that list instead of the normal development list auctex-devel?  Or can
>> somebody do that for us, please?
> I believe those messages are sent to the Maintainer address as given in
> packages/auctex/auctex.el.

That's right.

> You could change that address, but this might not be desired.  So your
> config would need an additional keyword, I believe.

Exactly.  I don't have a good idea for the name ("Commit-Email:"?
"Diff-Mailing-list:"?) so if you have a good suggestion, please tell me.
Then just add that header to auctex.el and I'll adjust the
script accordingly.

* Re: GNU ELPA commit mails
@ 2016-03-28 16:12     ` Clément Pit--Claudel
From: Clément Pit--Claudel @ 2016-03-28 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 03/28/2016 06:05 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Exactly.  I don't have a good idea for the name ("Commit-Email:"?
> "Diff-Mailing-list:"?) so if you have a good suggestion, please tell me.
> Then just add that header to auctex.el and I'll adjust the
> script accordingly.

Notifications-To: ?

* Re: GNU ELPA commit mails
@ 2016-03-29 11:20     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2016-03-29 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Clément Pit--Claudel <clement.pit@gmail.com> writes:

>> [...]
> Notifications-To: ?

Yes, I like that.

AFAICS, the ELPA mails include diffs.  Do I also have the option to get
commit mails without diffs, too?  In that case I'd suggest

  Commit-Notifications-To: auctex-commit@gnu.org
  Commit-Diffs-To: auctex-diffs@gnu.org

In case there's only the diff version, I'd just go with Notifications-To
as suggested by Clément.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: GNU ELPA commit mails
@ 2016-03-29 11:52       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-03-29 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> AFAICS, the ELPA mails include diffs.  Do I also have the option to get
> commit mails without diffs, too?

No, there's no such option.

> In case there's only the diff version, I'd just go with Notifications-To
> as suggested by Clément.

Done, thanks,

* Re: GNU ELPA commit mails
@ 2016-03-30 19:17         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2016-03-30 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> AFAICS, the ELPA mails include diffs.  Do I also have the option to
>> get commit mails without diffs, too?
>
> No, there's no such option.

Ok.

>> In case there's only the diff version, I'd just go with Notifications-To
>> as suggested by Clément.
>
> Done, thanks,

Ok, I'm using Notifications-To: auctex-diffs@gnu.org now.  I'll report
back if it works.  I just did a new AUCTeX release but so far the commit
messages haven't appeared in neither auctex-devel nor auctex-diffs but
I'm reading those via Gmane which might cause some additional delay.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: GNU ELPA commit mails
@ 2016-03-30 21:23           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-03-30 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> back if it works.  I just did a new AUCTeX release but so far the commit
> messages haven't appeared in neither auctex-devel nor auctex-diffs but
> I'm reading those via Gmane which might cause some additional delay.

That's because you first pushed to `elpa` and then to
`externals/auctex`.  The scripts couldn't know that the pushes to `elpa`
were actually to the `auctex` package.  And then moving things from one
branch to another doesn't send any diffs (it just sends a single email
with a summary of the files changed on this branch).

* Re: GNU ELPA commit mails
@ 2016-03-31 16:49             ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2016-03-31 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> back if it works.  I just did a new AUCTeX release but so far the
>> commit messages haven't appeared in neither auctex-devel nor
>> auctex-diffs but I'm reading those via Gmane which might cause some
>> additional delay.
>
> That's because you first pushed to `elpa` and then to
> `externals/auctex`.  The scripts couldn't know that the pushes to
> `elpa` were actually to the `auctex` package.  And then moving things
> from one branch to another doesn't send any diffs (it just sends a
> single email with a summary of the files changed on this branch).

Ah, ok.  I'll try to push to externals/auctex first in the future.  But
I'm not too interested in the diff mails anyway, so if they don't pop up
on our auctex-devel list, that's good enough.

Thanks,
Tassilo

* Re: GNU ELPA commit mails
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-03-31 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Ah, ok.  I'll try to push to externals/auctex first in the future.  But
> I'm not too interested in the diff mails anyway, so if they don't pop up
> on our auctex-devel list, that's good enough.

The main purpose is to inform you when someone *else* (e.g. yours truly)
pushes a change to elpa.git's version of auctex.
So indeed, you're probably not too interested when you're the
one pushing.