all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 26.1 problem
@ 2018-04-24 11:57 Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2018-04-24 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

I am using the latest emacs 26.1 compiled with msys2/mingw64.
There is problem for a few weeks.
I am not able to give a recipe to reproduce it but the symptoms
are :
- slow ido behavior, much slower than it used to be
- sometimes erratic behavior with the keyboard events
Example: M-x find-library <some string>, get a bunch of choices,
try to navigate them and the cursor jumps erratically between choices...
before trying to enter the debugger, then emacs is stuck and I have
to kill it.
The performance issue has also been reported here:
https://github.com/DarwinAwardWinner/ido-completing-read-plus/issues/143
(probably wrong place to report it btw).

Don't know if/when I will find time to investigate.
But if anybody has suggestions where to look I'll do my best.

Regards,

Fabrice

* Re: Emacs 26.1 problem
@ 2018-04-24 13:15 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-04-24 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> - slow ido behavior, much slower than it used to be

Is there a bug report for that?  If not, please make one.

> - sometimes erratic behavior with the keyboard events
> Example: M-x find-library <some string>, get a bunch of choices,
> try to navigate them and the cursor jumps erratically between choices...
> before trying to enter the debugger, then emacs is stuck and I have
> to kill it.

Same here, please make a bug report for it (and when Emacs is stuck,
please attach to it with GDB and show us the backtrace).

* Re: Emacs 26.1 problem
@ 2018-04-24 17:07 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-04-24 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 13:57:34 +0200
>
> I am using the latest emacs 26.1 compiled with msys2/mingw64.

If you compiled it yourself, please show the configuration switches
and the compilation options.

FWIW, I see no slowdown in ido-mode in 26.1 RC1 relative to 25.2.