all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* hide-show mode: unbalanced parentheses
@ 2007-01-05  2:57 Ryo
From: Ryo @ 2007-01-05  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

hs-hide-all (in hs-minor-mode, a "hide-show" mode) gets stuck
with "unbalanced parentheses" in my latex source. Some unbalanced
parens and brackets are necessary.  For example,

   \@ifnextchar [{\@tauZero}{\tau_{\!\!o}}

Notice the unmatched "[" .  Or, you sometimes write
"1) blah blah; 2) blah blah; . . . ."

Is there any fix?  Or is there any alternative to hs-minor-mode?
I could imagine that folding is possible on the basis of sectioning
commands like "\section".

Regards,
Ryo

* Re: hide-show mode: unbalanced parentheses
@ 2007-01-05  5:10 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-01-05  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> hs-hide-all (in hs-minor-mode, a "hide-show" mode) gets stuck
> with "unbalanced parentheses" in my latex source.

Try M-x report-emacs-bug.  Maybe this can fail more gracefully.

> Some unbalanced
> parens and brackets are necessary.  For example,
>    \@ifnextchar [{\@tauZero}{\tau_{\!\!o}}
> Notice the unmatched "[" .  Or, you sometimes write
> "1) blah blah; 2) blah blah; . . . ."
> Is there any fix?

You can probably try and fool hs-minor-mode by adding dummy matching chars
(typically wrapped in some ad-hoc command, such as \ignore{[} where \ignore
is defined as a nop that takes an arg and throws it away).
Kind of ugly, tho.  Sadly, LaTeX is inherently non-structured, although it
happens to be properly structured in 99% of the cases.

> Or is there any alternative to hs-minor-mode?  I could imagine that
> folding is possible on the basis of sectioning commands like "\section".

You may want to try outline-minor-mode for that.

* Re: hide-show mode: unbalanced parentheses
@ 2007-01-05 13:55 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-01-05 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ryo" <furufuru@ccsr.u-tokyo.ac.jp> writes:

Hi Ryo,

> Is there any fix?  Or is there any alternative to hs-minor-mode?  I
> could imagine that folding is possible on the basis of sectioning
> commands like "\section".

If you use AUCTeX, you can use folding.

,----[ (info "(auctex)Folding") ]
|    In order to use this feature, you have to activate `TeX-fold-mode'
| which will activate the auto-reveal feature and the necessary commands
| to hide and show macros and environments.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build
   bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to

* Re: hide-show mode: unbalanced parentheses
@ 2007-01-16  0:43   ` furue
From: furue @ 2007-01-16  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Tassilo,

> > Is there any fix?  Or is there any alternative to hs-minor-mode?  I
> > could imagine that folding is possible on the basis of sectioning
> > commands like "\section".
>
> If you use AUCTeX, you can use folding.

Thanks for the info!  outline-minor-mode works weill.
But, I'm wondering if there's a better key binding for the prefix
than "C-c @" --- "@" is a bit awkward to press (I have to release
my left little finger from the Ctrl key in order for my left ring
finger to reach the @ key).  I'm not asking how to change the
prefix but looking for a good key sequence which doesn't
override other functions.

Cheers,
Ryo