all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dired and file access times
@ 2010-01-09 15:59 Daniel Carvalho
From: Daniel Carvalho @ 2010-01-09 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a way to configure Dired so that it does not change file
access times when searching files?

I think that would be useful. "Access to the file" means the user has
opened it. Search or indexer program should be transparent!

* Re: dired and file access times
@ 2010-01-10  9:49 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-01-10  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Daniel Carvalho; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 09.01.2010 um 16:59 schrieb Daniel Carvalho:

> Is there a way to configure Dired so that it does not change file
> access times when searching files?

Could you imagine that the file system having the file, records its
access time automatically and without assistance from the programme?

--
Greetings

   Pete

This is a signature virus.  Add me to your signature and help me to
live!

* Re: dired and file access times
@ 2010-01-10 12:24   ` Daniel Carvalho
From: Daniel Carvalho @ 2010-01-10 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

yes, but the program could record the access time before opening the
file and restore it after.

That is possible, if people think it is useful.

I have take a look in other programs... The gnome search tool does not
do what I'm suggesting.

       [not found] <mailman.1077.1263114987.18930.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-01-11 17:03 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-01-11 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Is there a way to configure Dired so that it does not change file
> access times when searching files?

I don't think anybody has written the necessary code for that, no.

> I think that would be useful. "Access to the file" means the user has
> opened it.  Search or indexer program should be transparent!

We could accept a patch for such a feature, indeed, although I think the
tendency nowadays is to make atime less and less reliable (witness the
noatime/relatime and friends).