all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: cyd@stupidchicken.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.2 released
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 14:57:54 -0400	[thread overview]

>> But feel free to revise your commits to the trunk and see if any of them
>> might be good candidates for Emacs-23.3.
> What is the recommended bzr procedure for backporting changes from the
> trunk, without introducing possible conflicts in future merges from
> the branch to the trunk?

I don't think there's any magic bullet, sadly.  Until now, I've been the
one who did the merges, so it basically means more pain for me.

One thing you can do to help me out is to label your backports as such,
by starting the commit message with "Backport:".  It won't make all
problems disappear, but it gives me a few more options for how to deal
with them (e.g.: merge up to the next non-backport, commit, then
merge the next backport(s), "bzr revert .", commit, ...;
this work particularly well if the backport-commits are contiguous).