all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#18746: blurred fonts
@ 2014-10-16  7:13 Angelo Borsotti
From: Angelo Borsotti @ 2014-10-16  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 18746

Hello,

this night my PC Windows 7 has downloaded and installed a number of
updates. After that, emacs displays blurred fonts. See attached image.
Note that such bad-looking fonts appear also on the top manu bar, and in
all its menus.
They appear also on the main window making editing awful.

What can I do?

Thank you
-Angelo Borsotti

[-- Attachment #2: emacsfonts.JPG --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 25794 bytes --]

* bug#18746: blurred fonts
@ 2014-10-16  7:32 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <CAB9Jk9CHr3bvc5U2JMg7STAJsv+KyDvTYaEn=bxhJzGx7t8dQg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-10-16  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Borsotti; +Cc: 18746

> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 09:13:16 +0200
> From: Angelo Borsotti <angelo.borsotti@gmail.com>
>
> this night my PC Windows 7 has downloaded and installed a number of
> updates. After that, emacs displays blurred fonts. See attached image.
> Note that such bad-looking fonts appear also on the top manu bar, and in
> all its menus.
> They appear also on the main window making editing awful.
>
> What can I do?

Did the update turn on ClearType?  If so, try disabling it.

If that doesn't help, get the list of the updates that were installed,
read the relevant KB articles on the MS site, and try figuring out
which one(s) might be responsible for this change.  Then present your
findings here, and let's take it from there.

* bug#18746: blurred fonts
       [not found]   ` <CAB9Jk9CHr3bvc5U2JMg7STAJsv+KyDvTYaEn=bxhJzGx7t8dQg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-10-16 18:06     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <CAB9Jk9CpsEJKa4e7rD8gjibzzEdwzXnkYCwi9ac5xYJo7oUWkQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-10-16 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Borsotti; +Cc: 18746

[Please keep the bug address on the CC list, so that this discussion
gets archived by the bug tracker.]

> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 15:13:06 +0200
> From: Angelo Borsotti <angelo.borsotti@gmail.com>
>
> find enclosed the list of updates, that were installed on the 15th.
> I have read the M$ documentation of all of them, but none mention changing
> fonts.
>
> I always had cleartype turned on, but this never caused any problems.

I suggest to try tuning ClearType (and any other display-related
setting that could affect this).

If that doesn't help, one other thing I can suggest is uninstalling
the updates one by one.

* bug#18746: blurred fonts
       [not found]       ` <CAB9Jk9CpsEJKa4e7rD8gjibzzEdwzXnkYCwi9ac5xYJo7oUWkQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-10-16 18:50         ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]           ` <CAB9Jk9B6u=Kz+7ka0qfDLU0d=rZi6WixXW15yHADt_hpGdrTMA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-10-16 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Borsotti; +Cc: 18746

[Once again, PLEASE keep the bug address on the CC list, so that this
discussion gets archived by the bug tracker.]

> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 20:23:12 +0200
> From: Angelo Borsotti <angelo.borsotti@gmail.com>
>
> I uninstalled the updates, and got the fonts right.
> However, that is not a solution since sooner or later I would have to install
> them so as to keep my Windows 7 secure and up to date.
> Enven installing the updates one by one would help little: suppose I spot the
> one that causes the problem, I do not have the sources of it, and not even a
> detailed description of what it changes. So, I cannot know what specific thing
> is tweaking that causes the problem, and then the most I can do is not to
> install it (but it will come up each time Windows Update runs ...).

Did you try adjusting ClearType before you uninstalled the updates?

As for uninstalling: I agree that it is not the best solution, which
is why I suggested to try and find the one that has to be
uninstalled.  That way, you won't miss all the other updates.

* bug#18746: blurred fonts
       [not found]           ` <CAB9Jk9B6u=Kz+7ka0qfDLU0d=rZi6WixXW15yHADt_hpGdrTMA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-10-17  8:22             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-10-17  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Borsotti; +Cc: 18746-done

> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 08:53:52 +0200
> From: Angelo Borsotti <angelo.borsotti@gmail.com>
>
> I have updated again my Windows install this night. A lot more updates had
> been installed, and the problem has gone away.
> I guess that Microsoft has seen the problem and fixed it.

OK, thanks.  Closing the bug.

* bug#18746: blurred fonts
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-10-17 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 18746; +Cc: angelo.borsotti

>> I have updated again my Windows install this night. A lot more updates had
>> been installed, and the problem has gone away.
>> I guess that Microsoft has seen the problem and fixed it.

They probably follow Emacs bug-reports very closely ;-)