all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* `completing-read` without RET
@ 2016-03-11 11:36 egarrulo
From: egarrulo @ 2016-03-11 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a function with the same behaviour of `completing-read`, except
that it doesn't need RET when only one completion exists?

* Re: `completing-read` without RET
@ 2016-03-11 13:22 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-03-11 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Is there a function with the same behaviour of `completing-read`, except
> that it doesn't need RET when only one completion exists?

Of course, it's called `completing-read'.
You just have to configure its TAB key accordingly.
I.e. rebind TAB in minibuffer-local-completion-map from
`minibuffer-complete' to a new command which does what you want.

* Re: `completing-read` without RET
@ 2016-03-11 13:36   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-03-11 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Is there a function with the same behaviour of `completing-read`, except
>> that it doesn't need RET when only one completion exists?

> Of course, it's called `completing-read'.
> You just have to configure its TAB key accordingly.
> I.e. rebind TAB in minibuffer-local-completion-map from
> `minibuffer-complete' to a new command which does what you want.

Oh, actually, I think I misunderstood your question and there's an even
closer answer: just provide a neither-nil neither-t value for the
`require-match' argument or `completing-read'.

* RE: `completing-read` without RET
@ 2016-03-11 16:08     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-03-11 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, help-gnu-emacs

> >> Is there a function with the same behaviour of `completing-read`, except
> >> that it doesn't need RET when only one completion exists?
>
> > Of course, it's called `completing-read'.
> > You just have to configure its TAB key accordingly.
> > I.e. rebind TAB in minibuffer-local-completion-map from
> > `minibuffer-complete' to a new command which does what you want.
>
> Oh, actually, I think I misunderstood your question and there's an even
> closer answer: just provide a neither-nil neither-t value for the
> `require-match' argument or `completing-read'.

No, I don't think so.

 (completing-read "Choose: " '("a") nil 'foobar)

Choose:
Nothing happens.

Choose: TAB
Choose: a
Nothing happens.

Choose: a
Nothing happens.

Choose: a TAB
Nothing happens.

---

FWIW, If you use Icicles, if you set option
`icicle-top-level-when-sole-completion-flag' to non-nil then
completion (e.g. TAB) chooses the only match for your input.

In the examples above where TAB is used, the result is the
same as hitting RET: the sole match (in this case also the
sole candidate) is chosen.

But beware that you might not always want this behavior
(which is why it is not the default behavior).  If you
accidentally type the wrong thing then you don't get a
chance to change your mind.  (Of course, that's what you've
said you are after: quicker choosing.)

* Re: `completing-read` without RET
@ 2016-03-11 16:50       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-03-11 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> > Of course, it's called `completing-read'.
>> > You just have to configure its TAB key accordingly.
>> > I.e. rebind TAB in minibuffer-local-completion-map from
>> > `minibuffer-complete' to a new command which does what you want.
>> Oh, actually, I think I misunderstood your question and there's an even
>> closer answer: just provide a neither-nil neither-t value for the
>> `require-match' argument or `completing-read'.
> No, I don't think so.

You're right, it's when require-match is t.

> Choose: a TAB
> Nothing happens.

Don't use TAB, use RET.

* RE: `completing-read` without RET
@ 2016-03-11 17:07         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-03-11 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, help-gnu-emacs

> You're right, it's when require-match is t.
>
> > Choose: a TAB
> > Nothing happens.
>
> Don't use TAB, use RET.

Sure, but that's not what the OP requested.

There is a difference between (a) knowing that what you type
is sufficient to choose a single candidate, and so you hit RET,
and (b) not knowing whether there is only one match, and maybe
not even knowing whether completion is lax or REQUIRE-MATCH is
t, so you hit TAB.

If you hit TAB and there is only one matching candidate, the
OP wants that candidate to be chosen (returned).  That's my
understanding of the request.  Vanilla `completing-read' does
not offer that possibility (feature).

* Re: `completing-read` without RET
@ 2016-03-11 22:45           ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]             ` <mailman.7363.1457740186.843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-03-11 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> If you hit TAB and there is only one matching candidate, the
> OP wants that candidate to be chosen (returned).

Right, that's why I'm saying "use RET not TAB".  AFAIK (s)he never needs
to use TAB in such completions, always using RET will give h(er|im) the
behavior (s)he wants (either complete, or select the sole completion).

* RE: `completing-read` without RET
@ 2016-03-11 23:49             ` Drew Adams
       [not found]             ` <mailman.7363.1457740186.843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-03-11 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, help-gnu-emacs

> > If you hit TAB and there is only one matching candidate, the
> > OP wants that candidate to be chosen (returned).
>
> Right, that's why I'm saying "use RET not TAB".  AFAIK (s)he never needs
> to use TAB in such completions, always using RET will give h(er|im) the
> behavior (s)he wants (either complete, or select the sole completion).

Naturally you left off the part that was significant here:

  There is a difference between (a) knowing that what you type
  is sufficient to choose a single candidate, and so you hit RET,
  and (b) not knowing whether there is only one match, and maybe
  not even knowing whether completion is lax or REQUIRE-MATCH is
  t, so you hit TAB.

(completing-read "Choose: " '("a" "aa" "b") nil t)

You type `a'.  You don't know what the candidates are, but you
guess that at least one begins with `a'.  If you hit RET then
you get the first candidate, `a'.  If you hit TAB then you see
that there are two matching candidates, `a' and `aa', and you
can choose whichever one you want.

There is NOT a sole candidate that matches your input `a' in
this case.  And what you said is not true in this case:
"either complete, or select the sole completion."  If you use
`a RET' then you get `a' - you see no completions, and what
you get is not the only match.

RET with REQUIRE-MATCHES = t does not respond to what was
requested, IIUC.

I interpret the OP request "doesn't need RET when only one
completion exists" as meaning that the OP (1) does not want
to have to use two keys when only one candidate matches, but
(2) s?he also wants completion - wants to see the matches
when there is more than one.

For vanilla Emacs, neither TAB nor RET does this - in the
general case you need to hit two keys: TAB to complete and
RET to choose.

As I said, if you KNOW that what you type matches only one
candidate then you can just hit RET - of course.  But that
is true regardless of the value of REQUIRE-MATCH.

@ 2016-03-12 12:01               ` egarrulo
From: egarrulo @ 2016-03-12 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear Drew and Stefan, thank you for your helpful replies.  Regrettably,
what I was looking for, wouldn't actually work for future use cases,
therefore using RET or TAB is still the best solution.

* Re: `completing-read` without RET
@ 2016-04-11  9:01 ` Oleh Krehel
From: Oleh Krehel @ 2016-04-11  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egarrulo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

egarrulo <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a function with the same behaviour of `completing-read`,
> except that it doesn't need RET when only one completion exists?

I've made an implementation for my bookmarks a long time ago:

    https://github.com/abo-abo/headlong

I still use it and it works fine. As soon as there is only one match,
the completion will exit. Example:

    (headlong-with
     (completing-read "Test: " '("a" "b" "c") nil t))

Hopefully it's still useful, I was going through this mailing list just
now.

    Oleh