all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Are inserted images cached somehow?
@ 2003-10-20 15:21 Peter S Galbraith
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2003-10-20 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I do the following to insert an image:

  (insert-image '(image :type jpeg :file "/tmp/img_3818.jpg"))

Then I modify the image file /tmp/img_3812.jpg outside of Emacs.
Then I redo:

  (insert-image '(image :type jpeg :file "/tmp/img_3818.jpg"))

I get the same image as before inserted.  I do _not_ get the modified
version.  I can't figure out what Emacs is doing to cache the image
and therefore make it's display unmodifiable.

This is using emacs 21.2 or 21.3, and also using image.el from Emacs CVS
(which fixes a few bugs I was seeing).

Is there a way to do what I want to do?

Thanks!
Peter

* Re: Are inserted images cached somehow?
       [not found] <mailman.2006.1066663414.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-10-20 15:41 ` Oliver Scholz
       [not found]   ` <alkibiades@gmx.de>
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2037.1066693072.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-10-20 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, images are cached. See (info "(elisp)Image cache").

    Oliver
--
29 Vendémiaire an 212 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

@ 2003-10-20 15:42 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-10-20 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net> writes:

> I get the same image as before inserted.  I do _not_ get the
> modified version.  I can't figure out what Emacs is doing to cache
> the image and therefore make it's display unmodifiable.

See the section "Image Cache" in the Emacs Lisp Manual.

@ 2003-10-20 23:37     ` Peter S Galbraith
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2003-10-20 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> wrote:

> Yes, images are cached. See (info "(elisp)Image cache").

Thanks to both of you.  My sanity is restored.  Now I wonder why I
didn't see that part of the manual before.

@ 2003-10-21  0:00     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thanks to both of you.  My sanity is restored.  Now I wonder why I
> didn't see that part of the manual before.

You lacked faith, that's all.  You have to beleive it to see it.