all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs crashing on Windows XP
@ 2004-04-29 19:49 StewDog
From: StewDog @ 2004-04-29 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi I have just moved to a new machine which has XP rather than Win2K
on it. I installed my old version which worked fine. I then installed
more software and Emacs started crashing at startup, displaying only
an XP dialog, nothing else. I downladed 21.3 from the GNU site and
that seemed to fix the problem, until I next rebooted the box and the
problem was back.

Anyone seen this before and got any fixes ? I really need Emacs
working on this box - I can't even contemplate going to a different
editor.

Am trying a different Emacs build right now.

Thanks in advance

Stew

* Re: Emacs crashing on Windows XP
@ 2004-04-29 21:11 ` Stewart Douglas
From: Stewart Douglas @ 2004-04-29 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

sdouglas@snowgold.com (StewDog) wrote in news:a8ec9c28.0404291149.4ca89801
@posting.google.com:

> Hi I have just moved to a new machine which has XP rather than Win2K
> on it. I installed my old version which worked fine. I then installed
> more software and Emacs started crashing at startup, displaying only
> an XP dialog, nothing else. I downladed 21.3 from the GNU site and
> that seemed to fix the problem, until I next rebooted the box and the
> problem was back.

Have just tried a beta build which included a tool bar etc. On first
install it worked fine but then started having the same problem later. Am
going to build the source myself and see if I can debug it. This is driving
me crazy - any help appreciated.

@ 2004-04-30  9:46   ` Stewart Douglas
From: Stewart Douglas @ 2004-04-30  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stewart Douglas <sdouglas@snowgold.com> wrote in

> sdouglas@snowgold.com (StewDog) wrote in
Problem solved - I have a dual head gfx card and that has the ability to
save a windows position. For some reason Emacs crashed after it had been
maximised. Installing to a different directory fixed the problem as the gfx
card drivers think it is a different app...until it is maximised again.

Phew

@ 2004-04-30 21:03     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-04-30 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Problem solved - I have a dual head gfx card and that has the ability to
> save a windows position. For some reason Emacs crashed after it had been
> maximised. Installing to a different directory fixed the problem as the gfx
> card drivers think it is a different app...until it is maximised again.

Please report this problem with M-x report-emacs-bug.