all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Moving more files from etc/ to doc/
@ 2007-09-08 22:48 Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2007-09-08 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Looking through etc, there are quite a number of files which I think
would get a better chance of being read if they were located in doc/

E.g.

CENSORSHIP
COOKIES
copying.paper
DEBUG
DEVEL.HUMOR
DISTRIB
edt-user.doc
emacstool.1
enriched.doc
gfdl.1
GNU
INTERVIEW
JOKES
LINUX-GNU
MACHINES
MAILINGLISTS
MORE.STUFF
MOTIVATION
PROBLEMS
TERMS
THE-GNU-PROJECT
WHY-FREE

* Re: Moving more files from etc/ to doc/
@ 2007-09-08 23:12 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2007-09-08 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kim F. Storm; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Looking through etc, there are quite a number of files which I think
> would get a better chance of being read if they were located in doc/
>
> E.g.
>
> CENSORSHIP
> COOKIES
> copying.paper
> DEBUG
> DEVEL.HUMOR
> DISTRIB
> edt-user.doc
> emacstool.1
> enriched.doc
> gfdl.1
> GNU
> INTERVIEW
> JOKES
> LINUX-GNU
> MACHINES
> MAILINGLISTS
> MORE.STUFF
> MOTIVATION
> PROBLEMS
> TERMS
> THE-GNU-PROJECT
> WHY-FREE

Unfortunately, this means that the path in `data-directory' can't be
used any more to locate these files.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: Moving more files from etc/ to doc/
@ 2007-09-09 20:07 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-09-09 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kim F. Storm; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Looking through etc, there are quite a number of files which I think
    would get a better chance of being read if they were located in doc/

We could put them in doc/etc in the source tree, but
install them in the place specified by data-directory,
as if they still were in etc.

Do you think that would achieve the benefit you have in mind?

* Re: Moving more files from etc/ to doc/
@ 2007-09-09 20:52   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-09-09 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel, Kim F. Storm

>     Looking through etc, there are quite a number of files which I think
>     would get a better chance of being read if they were located in doc/

> We could put them in doc/etc in the source tree, but
> install them in the place specified by data-directory,
> as if they still were in etc.

> Do you think that would achieve the benefit you have in mind?

It doesn't seem to worth the trouble.