all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Inferior Octave
@ 2007-08-09 16:05 Matt
From: Matt @ 2007-08-09 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am trying to run an inferior octave mode in emacs and every time I
type M-x run-octave emacs freezes on me. I have read other threads
describing this problem where the solution was to update the octave-
inf.el file. I updated this file and I am still having the same freeze
problems. I think this has something to do with how my computer runs
octave (not with cygwin). My desktop octave icon which starts the
octave command window outside of emacs has the target

"C:\Program Files\GNU Octave 2.1.73\bin\rxvt.exe" --keysym.0xFF50 '^a'
--keysym.0xFF57 '^e' --keysym.0xFFFF '^f^h' -tn linux -title 'GNU
Octave 2.1.73' -geometry 80x25 -bg White -fg Black -cr Blue -fn
'Lucida Console-12' -sr -b 5 -e /bin/sh octave.sh

I am not familiar with this type of coding but it seems that octave is
being run from within rxvt. Does this pose a problem to running octave
within emacs? And if so has anyone gotten around this?

I have Windows XP, Octave 2.1.73, emacs 22.1.1

* inferior octave
@ 2018-03-10 12:11 jan.mark.batke
From: jan.mark.batke @ 2018-03-10 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
how do I debug (and repair 8/ ) a hanging octave as an inferior process in emacs.

I have
- windows 10
- octave 4.2.1
  installed in /opt/Octave-4.2.1
  having extend the path of windows to c/opt/Octave-4.2.1/bin
- emacs 25.3.1

The *Inferior Octave* buffer comes up, but no prompt is seen.

Resetting the prompt to ">> " as often suggest did not help.

Apparently the octave process is running, as shown when closing emacs in the *process List* buffer.

Process: inferior octave
Buffer: *inferior octave*
TTY: -- (probably the problem to fix)
Command: octave -i --no-line-editing --no-gui

Any hint is appreciated
--Jan-Mark

* Re: inferior octave
@ 2018-03-10 12:21 ` jan.mark.batke
From: jan.mark.batke @ 2018-03-10 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Samstag, 10. März 2018 13:11:33 UTC+1 schrieb jan.mar...@googlemail.com:
> Hi,
> how do I debug (and repair 8/ ) a hanging octave as an inferior process in emacs.
>
> I have
> - windows 10
> - octave 4.2.1
>   installed in /opt/Octave-4.2.1
>   having extend the path of windows to c/opt/Octave-4.2.1/bin
> - emacs 25.3.1
>
> The *Inferior Octave* buffer comes up, but no prompt is seen.
>
> Resetting the prompt to ">> " as often suggest did not help.
>
> Apparently the octave process is running, as shown when closing emacs in the *process List* buffer.
>
> Process: inferior octave
> Buffer: *inferior octave*
> TTY: -- (probably the problem to fix)
> Command: octave -i --no-line-editing --no-gui
>
> Any hint is appreciated
> --Jan-Mark

So I found the answer on

https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/running-shells-in-emacs-overview

by implementing the bash stuff.

Thanks for attention anyway.
-jm

* Re: inferior octave
@ 2018-03-12 13:27   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-03-12 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> So I found the answer on
>
> https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/running-shells-in-emacs-overview
>
> by implementing the bash stuff.

Hmm... I can't quite see what would have been "the answer" you found
there, nor what you mean by "implementing the bash stuff".
Could you give us some detail?

        Stefan "mainly trying to see if there's something octave.el
                could do better out of the box"