all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Searching a word that is defined by the position of the cursor ?
@ 2003-11-04 15:21 Hackl Heinz
From: Hackl Heinz @ 2003-11-04 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to switch from gvim to xemacs and I'm missing the following
feature:
In gvim CTRL-*  highlights that word (and all identical words in the file)
that has the cursor (in any position) on it.
Is there a possibility to configure emacs to realize this function ?
thanks and best regards

DI Heinz-Werner Hackl
Senior Design Engineer SLI Design
austriamicrosystems AG
accento! Business Unit Communications
Schloss Premstaetten, A-8141 Unterpremstaetten
Tel.: ++43 (0)3136 500 5314 , Fax: ++43 (0)3136 500 5491
heinz.hackl@austriamicrosystems.com
http://www.austriamicrosystems.com <http://www.austriamicrosystems.com/>

* Re: Searching a word that is defined by the position of the cursor ?
       [not found] <mailman.3127.1067959363.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-04 18:31 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-04 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hackl Heinz wrote:

> I would like to switch from gvim to xemacs and I'm missing the following
> feature:
> In gvim CTRL-*  highlights that word (and all identical words in the file)
> that has the cursor (in any position) on it.
> Is there a possibility to configure emacs to realize this function ?

;; You might want to run M-b first, then:

C-s C-w

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2003-11-04 22:25 ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2003-11-04 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hackl Heinz <Heinz.Hackl@austriamicrosystems.com> writes:
> I would like to switch from gvim to xemacs and I'm missing the following
> feature:
> In gvim CTRL-*  highlights that word (and all identical words in the file)
> that has the cursor (in any position) on it.
> Is there a possibility to configure emacs to realize this function ?
> thanks and best regards

There are two parts:

To search for the word under the cursor: C-s C-w

To highlight all matches, look at ishl.el.  For example:

(require 'ishl)
(ishl-mode t)
(setq-default ishl-cleanup nil)

To change the color of all occurrences after the first:

(set-face-foreground 'secondary-selection    "antiquewhite1")
(set-face-background 'secondary-selection    "Mediumblue")

Bonus:

Play with M-x occur and M-x igrep when you have time.

* Re: Searching a word that is defined by the position of the cursor ?
@ 2003-11-04 22:53   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-11-04 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> To highlight all matches, look at ishl.el.  For example:

The ishl.el functionality is included in Emacs-21.
Just do (setq isearch-lazy-highlight t).