all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem with highlit regions on Linux virtual terminal
@ 2008-06-14 21:11 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2008-06-14 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi, Emacs!

In a GNU/Linux system, log on to a virtual terminal.  (If already in X,
do, e.g., Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get there).

With an up to date CVS version,

    emacs -Q
    C-x C-f .../path/to/emacs/lisp/files.el
    C-s find-alternate-file <CR>

Note the general quality of the display (high :-), including the font
locking.  Now do

    C-M-h

to mark the function.  Note again the quality of the display (low :-().
We have uniform pale grey text on a bright blue background, and the sole
remaining vestige of the font locking is that font-lock-keyword-face
(and one or two others) are in bold white rather than pale grey.

This is unacceptable for our release.  It has been a particular problem
since transient-mark-mode became switched on by default.

Could somebody fix this, please, preferably without rekindling the
bitter debate about transient-mark-mode being default.  Since I dislike
this default so intensely, I'm not really the person to do it.

Thanks in advance!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: Problem with highlit regions on Linux virtual terminal
@ 2008-06-14 21:46 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-06-14 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-devel

> to mark the function.  Note again the quality of the display (low :-().
> We have uniform pale grey text on a bright blue background, and the sole
> remaining vestige of the font locking is that font-lock-keyword-face
> (and one or two others) are in bold white rather than pale grey.

Yes, the fact that we do not merge the highlight face with the
underlying face specified in text-properties is a misfeature.
Please add it to the bugtracker.

        Stefan

PS: Another, related but different problem is merging the `mouse-face'
with the `face' property.