all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#5135: [gnu.org #565169] Deniz Dogan EMACS Assignment
       [not found]           ` <AANLkTinnPDYAAvlxpFw1eCcMHnyvx6WOqyMRk8JBoES5@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-06-03 14:56             ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-06-03 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: 5135, Ryan Yeske

Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:

> This patch adds the user option to sort nickname listings in the way
> that many other IRC clients sort them.
>
> Details:
> * Added rcirc-nickname<, a function which acts like string< but for
> IRC nicknames, making  <at>  less than + and comparing case-insensitively.
> * Added rcirc-sort-nicknames-join, a function which takes a string of
> IRC nicknames and a separator, sorts the nicknames and returns the
> result.
> * Added rcirc-sort-nicknames, a customizable variable which when
> non-nil will make rcirc sort any NAMES responses. nil by default.
> * Changed rcirc-handler-366 (RPL_ENDOFNAMES) to respect rcirc-sort-nicknames.

If most IRC clients sort nicknames this way, it may not be necessary to
create a new option `rcirc-sort-nicknames'.  We should just perform the
sorting automatically.  What do you think?  (I don't know enough about
"typical" IRC behavior to say).

Also, your docstrings need work.  Please read the Documentation node in
the Elisp manual:

     When you write a documentation string, make the first line a
     complete sentence (or two complete sentences) since some
     commands, such as `apropos', show only the first line of a
     multi-line documentation string.

From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-06-03 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: Chong Yidong

> Chong, here is the patch: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5135

Installed, thanks,

* bug#5135: [gnu.org #565169] Deniz Dogan EMACS Assignment
@ 2010-06-03 15:53               ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-06-03 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: 5135, Ryan Yeske

2010/6/3 Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>:
> Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> This patch adds the user option to sort nickname listings in the way
>> that many other IRC clients sort them.
>>
>> Details:
>> * Added rcirc-nickname<, a function which acts like string< but for
>> IRC nicknames, making  <at>  less than + and comparing case-insensitively.
>> * Added rcirc-sort-nicknames-join, a function which takes a string of
>> IRC nicknames and a separator, sorts the nicknames and returns the
>> result.
>> * Added rcirc-sort-nicknames, a customizable variable which when
>> non-nil will make rcirc sort any NAMES responses. nil by default.
>> * Changed rcirc-handler-366 (RPL_ENDOFNAMES) to respect rcirc-sort-nicknames.
>
> If most IRC clients sort nicknames this way, it may not be necessary to
> create a new option `rcirc-sort-nicknames'.  We should just perform the
> sorting automatically.  What do you think?  (I don't know enough about
> "typical" IRC behavior to say).

I'm all for making this option the default - I see no reason why
people would not want to sort the nicknames. Pretty much every IRC
client used today sorts the nicknames like this. I just figured maybe
some people get annoyed by the (almost infinitely small) overhead it
takes to perform the actual sorting. rcirc users like to keep it
minimalistic I have found.

> Also, your docstrings need work.  Please read the Documentation node in
> the Elisp manual:
>
>     When you write a documentation string, make the first line a
>     complete sentence (or two complete sentences) since some
>     commands, such as `apropos', show only the first line of a
>     multi-line documentation string.

Sorry about that, I will take that part of the manual into account in
any future patches.

By the way, it seems Stefan already applied this patch, so I don't
know where to go from here...

Cheers,
Deniz

* bug#5135: [gnu.org #565169] Deniz Dogan EMACS Assignment
@ 2010-06-03 16:01                 ` Ryan Yeske
From: Ryan Yeske @ 2010-06-03 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: 5135, Chong Yidong

Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:

> 2010/6/3 Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>:
>> If most IRC clients sort nicknames this way, it may not be necessary to
>> create a new option `rcirc-sort-nicknames'.  We should just perform the
>> sorting automatically.  What do you think?  (I don't know enough about
>> "typical" IRC behavior to say).
>>

> I'm all for making this option the default - I see no reason why
> people would not want to sort the nicknames. Pretty much every IRC
> client used today sorts the nicknames like this. I just figured maybe
> some people get annoyed by the (almost infinitely small) overhead it
> takes to perform the actual sorting. rcirc users like to keep it
> minimalistic I have found.

I have no issue with the overhead if it is truly minimal.  I never saw
any reason to sort the list of nicks.  They are sorted in "server order"
which I think shows how long everyone has been in the channel relative
to eachother.

I like to keep the number of configurable options down to a minimum, so
I'm happy to make this sorting the default, and remove
`rcirc-sort-nicknames'.

Ryan

* bug#5135: [gnu.org #565169] Deniz Dogan EMACS Assignment
@ 2010-06-03 17:23                   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-06-03 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ryan Yeske; +Cc: 5135, Deniz Dogan

Ryan Yeske <rcyeske@gmail.com> writes:

> I have no issue with the overhead if it is truly minimal.  I never saw
> any reason to sort the list of nicks.  They are sorted in "server order"
> which I think shows how long everyone has been in the channel relative
> to eachother.
>
> I like to keep the number of configurable options down to a minimum, so
> I'm happy to make this sorting the default, and remove
> `rcirc-sort-nicknames'.

OK, let's make it always sort then.  I've commited to trunk.