all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#7542: 24.0.50; (elisp) `Extended Menu Items' - undefined specifier: KEY-BINDING-DATA
@ 2010-12-03 17:54 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-12-03 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 7542

The node says this:

   To define a real menu item which can be selected, the extended format
 binding looks like this:

     (menu-item ITEM-NAME REAL-BINDING
         . ITEM-PROPERTY-LIST)

 Here, ITEM-NAME is an expression which evaluates to the menu item
 string.  Thus, the string need not be a constant.  The third element,
 REAL-BINDING, is the command to execute.  The tail of the list,
 ITEM-PROPERTY-LIST, has the form of a property list which contains
 other information.

   When an equivalent keyboard key binding is cached, the extended menu
 item binding looks like this:

     (menu-item ITEM-NAME REAL-BINDING (KEY-BINDING-DATA)
         . ITEM-PROPERTY-LIST)

There is no description (anywhere) of KEY-BINDING-DATA - no explanation
of what it looks like or what it means/does.  IOW, this information about
cached bindings is incomplete and incomprehensible.

The same problem exists for node `Simple Menu Items'.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-11-30 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'

* bug#7542: 24.0.50; (elisp) `Extended Menu Items' - undefined specifier: KEY-BINDING-DATA
@ 2010-12-03 22:10 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-12-03 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 7542

>      (menu-item ITEM-NAME REAL-BINDING (KEY-BINDING-DATA)
>          . ITEM-PROPERTY-LIST)

> There is no description (anywhere) of KEY-BINDING-DATA - no explanation
> of what it looks like or what it means/does.  IOW, this information about
> cached bindings is incomplete and incomprehensible.

Luckily this cache is not used any more.  So we should simply get rid of
this KEY-BINDING-DATA thingy.

* bug#7542: 24.0.50; (elisp) `Extended Menu Items' - undefined specifier: KEY-BINDING-DATA
@ 2010-12-18 16:28   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-12-18 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 7542-done

>> (menu-item ITEM-NAME REAL-BINDING (KEY-BINDING-DATA)
>> . ITEM-PROPERTY-LIST)

>> There is no description (anywhere) of KEY-BINDING-DATA - no explanation
>> of what it looks like or what it means/does.  IOW, this information about
>> cached bindings is incomplete and incomprehensible.

> Luckily this cache is not used any more.  So we should simply get rid of
> this KEY-BINDING-DATA thingy.

I've just removed it from the trunk.