all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ido-completing-read and substrings of choices
@ 2013-04-02 11:49 Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2013-04-02 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

It seems that it is not possible to input a string that is a substring
of some candidate, even if require-match is nil:

(ido-completing-read "Choose: " '("abc" "xyz") nil nil)

How could the user input "ab" on the command above?

* Re: ido-completing-read and substrings of choices
@ 2013-04-02 11:54 ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2013-04-02 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:
> (ido-completing-read "Choose: " '("abc" "xyz") nil nil)
>
> How could the user input "ab" on the command above?

This should work :
ab C-j

--
Nico.

* Re: ido-completing-read and substrings of choices
@ 2013-04-02 12:22   ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2013-04-02 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Nicolas Richard" <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> writes:

> Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:
>> (ido-completing-read "Choose: " '("abc" "xyz") nil nil)
>>
>> How could the user input "ab" on the command above?
>
> This should work :
> ab C-j

Thanks Nico!

* Re: ido-completing-read and substrings of choices
@ 2013-04-02 15:13 ` Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2013-04-02 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2013-04-02 19:49 +0800, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> It seems that it is not possible to input a string that is a substring
> of some candidate, even if require-match is nil:
>
> (ido-completing-read "Choose: " '("abc" "xyz") nil nil)
>
> How could the user input "ab" on the command above?

C-j

Leo

* Re: ido-completing-read and substrings of choices
@ 2013-04-02 15:52   ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2013-04-02 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Leo Liu <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2013-04-02 19:49 +0800, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> It seems that it is not possible to input a string that is a substring
>> of some candidate, even if require-match is nil:
>>
>> (ido-completing-read "Choose: " '("abc" "xyz") nil nil)
>>
>> How could the user input "ab" on the command above?
>
> C-j

Thanks Leo. Nico already answered this.

The documentation on ido.el is centered around selecting files and
buffers. However, ido-mode is so convenient that more and more people
are using ido-completing-read as a replacement for completing-read on
lots of contexts. IMHO ido-completing-read deserves move visibility on
the documentation at the top of ido.el or, better, explain the general
goal of ido-mode starting from ido-completing-read and present file and
buffer selection as specific applications.

Thanks again.

* Re: ido-completing-read and substrings of choices
@ 2013-04-02 16:47     ` Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2013-04-02 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2013-04-02 23:52 +0800, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> The documentation on ido.el is centered around selecting files and
> buffers. However, ido-mode is so convenient that more and more people
> are using ido-completing-read as a replacement for completing-read on
> lots of contexts. IMHO ido-completing-read deserves move visibility on
> the documentation at the top of ido.el or, better, explain the general
> goal of ido-mode starting from ido-completing-read and present file and
> buffer selection as specific applications.

I agree. I actually change completing-read-function to a personally
modified ido-completing-read.

I am thinking of maintaining ido.el and give it a better documentation.
But writing texi doesn't thrill me. Let me think about it.

Leo

* Re: ido-completing-read and substrings of choices
@ 2013-04-03 13:22     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-04-03 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> The documentation on ido.el is centered around selecting files and
> buffers. However, ido-mode is so convenient that more and more people
> are using ido-completing-read as a replacement for completing-read on
> lots of contexts. IMHO ido-completing-read deserves move visibility on
> the documentation at the top of ido.el or, better, explain the general
> goal of ido-mode starting from ido-completing-read and present file and
> buffer selection as specific applications.

FWIW, the default completion code in Emacs has been slowly evolving to
get closer to IDO (e.g. in Emacs-24, C-x b does substring completion).
It will probably never be identical to IDO (because of some fundamental
UI incompatibilities), but feel free to request the addition of
particular IDO features via M-x report-emacs-bug.