all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
  • * Re: A question on encryption
           [not found] <mailman.7656.1409167662.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
           [not found] ` <7zbnr5mesz.fsf@example.com>
    @ 2014-08-29  3:22 ` Stefan Monnier
    From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-08-29  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
      To: help-gnu-emacs

    > The two resulting files were different (difference in length of 3
    > bytes; find-file-literally and manual inspection showed that the
    > beginnings were identical, but the endings were not).

    What did you inspect manually?  The encrypted files?  Or the contents
    (after decryption) of those files?
    The more interesting comparison is of the contents (after decryption).
    Assuming that's what you did, to what do "beginnings" and "endings" refer?

  • * A question on encryption
    @ 2014-08-27 19:27 Marcin Borkowski
    From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-08-27 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
      To: GNU Emacs users list

    Hi all,

    I'm experimenting with encryption in Emacs using the EPG library.  I'm
    using Emacs version:

    GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2) of 2013-08-22 on chindi02, modified by Debian

    and gpg version:

    gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.14

    Home: ~/.gnupg
    Supported algorithms:
    Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA
    Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH,
            CAMELLIA128, CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
    Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

    I created a test file (call it "test") with a single line of text and
    did two things:

    1. C-x C-f test RET, C-x C-w test.gpg RET

    Then I selected the key and hit ok.

    2. From the command line:
    gpg -e -r key-id -o test2.gpg test

    The two resulting files were different (difference in length of 3
    bytes; find-file-literally and manual inspection showed that the
    beginnings were identical, but the endings were not).

    My question is: why is that so?  I instrumented the function
    epg-start-encrypt for Edebug, and it seems that the argument list it
    constructed was identical or equivalent to the one I'm giving on the
    command line.

    My other question is: is it fine?  I'm an (almost) complete layman
    with crypto, and I don't want to open some huge security hole because
    of my ignorance.  (I want to store my email passwords in encrypted
    files, set a very short timeout in gpg-agent and connect it to my
    mailing client, so that stealing my laptop won't enable the thief to
    impersonate me.)

    Best,

    --
    Marcin Borkowski