all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* configure run again during make bootstrap
@ 2015-05-26 17:26 Timur Aydin
From: Timur Aydin @ 2015-05-26 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have retrieved the git emacs source today and have done the:

./autogen.sh
./configure
make bootstrap

dance as usual. But during the bootstrapping, I am seeing that the
configure script is run again. So i did a git clean in the repository
and this time, i just did a make bootstrap. That worked fine and the
makefile has done the autogen.sh and configure steps by itself.

So my question is, is it enough to just do make bootstrap after
retrieving the git sources?

Also, if this is enough, how do I pass options to the configure script?
like for example, i want to pass in "--prefix=$HOME/emacs" to the
configure script.

Cheers,

--
Timur

* Re: configure run again during make bootstrap
@ 2015-05-26 18:46 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-05-26 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timur Aydin; +Cc: emacs-devel

> make bootstrap

This does something fundamentally equivalent to "make cleanish; make".
So if your tree is clean you do not need/want "make bootstrap" but just
"make" instead.  See INSTALL.REPO for recommended practices.