all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* run external command and let it go
@ 2003-09-25 16:08 John Russell
From: John Russell @ 2003-09-25 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone tell me how I can run an external process (like a temrinal
or a browser) from emacs.  I know shell-command does this, but I
really don't care about the output of the command, so the Shell output
and Async output buffers are just annoying when they come up.  I
really just want to launch a command and then be done with it.  Any
ideas? Thanks.

John

* Re: run external command and let it go
@ 2003-09-25 16:20 ` John Russell
From: John Russell @ 2003-09-25 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Russell <jorussel@cisco.com> writes:

> Can anyone tell me how I can run an external process (like a temrinal
> or a browser) from emacs.  I know shell-command does this, but I
> really don't care about the output of the command, so the Shell output
> and Async output buffers are just annoying when they come up.  I
> really just want to launch a command and then be done with it.  Any
> ideas? Thanks.
>
> John

Does anyone have a better idea than this?  It just seems like it
should be easier than this.

Plus, every once in a while my process doesn't run because it a
hungup.  But only some times. I hate race conditions.

(defun open-terminal-here ()
  "Opens the terminal defined by the variable terminal-program at
the current working directory."
  (interactive)
  (let (current-config)
    (setq current-config (current-window-configuration))
    (shell-command (concat terminal-program "&"))
    (kill-buffer "*Async Shell Command*")
    (set-window-configuration current-config)
    ))

@ 2003-09-25 18:41 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-09-25 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Can anyone tell me how I can run an external process (like a temrinal
> or a browser) from emacs.  I know shell-command does this, but I
> really don't care about the output of the command, so the Shell output
> and Async output buffers are just annoying when they come up.  I
> really just want to launch a command and then be done with it.  Any
> ideas? Thanks.

`shell-command' is mostly meant for interactive use.  For elisp code, use
`call-process' or `start-process' (which see with C-h f).

* Re: run external command and let it go
@ 2003-09-26 14:47   ` John Russell
From: John Russell @ 2003-09-26 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Can anyone tell me how I can run an external process (like a temrinal
> > or a browser) from emacs.  I know shell-command does this, but I
> > really don't care about the output of the command, so the Shell output
> > and Async output buffers are just annoying when they come up.  I
> > really just want to launch a command and then be done with it.  Any
> > ideas? Thanks.
>
> `shell-command' is mostly meant for interactive use.  For elisp code, use
> `call-process' or `start-process' (which see with C-h f).

(call-process * nil 0 nil) was what I wanted.  Thanks.

John