all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* creating a function that works for active region or whole buffer
@ 2013-01-22 11:20 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-01-22 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
I'd like to write a function that can be invoked when a region is
active, and therefore is limited to the region itself, or on the whole
buffer if not any region is active. Therefore in my function I placed
the following conditional to set the start-block and end-block lines
to the whole buffer or the whole region:

(if (not (null (region-beginning) ) )
          (progn

            (setq current-block-start-line (line-number-at-pos
(region-beginning) ) )
            (setq current-block-end-line   (line-number-at-pos
(region-end) ) ) )

                                        ; else mark the whole buffer
        (progn
          (setq current-block-start-line (line-number-at-pos (point-min) ) )
          (setq current-block-end-line   (line-number-at-pos (point-max) ) ) ) )

It seems to work, but when I mark a region, that remove the region
(i.e., unmark) and call the function again it seems that the function
has still the region-beginning and region-end marks (i.e., it does not
work on the whole buffer). Is there a smarter way to see if a region
is currently active?

Thanks,
Luca

* Re: creating a function that works for active region or whole buffer
@ 2013-01-22 14:37 ` Mark Skilbeck
From: Mark Skilbeck @ 2013-01-22 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Perhaps with-region-or-buffer[1] will be of help.

-mgsk

[1] http://irrealblog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/region-or-buffer-revisited-in-writing_02.html

@ 2013-01-22 16:01 ` Le Wang
       [not found]   ` <mailman.18089.1358876370.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Le Wang @ 2013-01-22 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'd like to write a function that can be invoked when a region is
> active, and therefore is limited to the region itself, or on the whole
> buffer if not any region is active. Therefore in my function I placed
> the following conditional to set the start-block and end-block lines
> to the whole buffer or the whole region:
>

> (if (not (null (region-beginning) ) )
>           (progn
>
>             (setq current-block-start-line (line-number-at-pos
> (region-beginning) ) )
>             (setq current-block-end-line   (line-number-at-pos
> (region-end) ) ) )
>
>                                         ; else mark the whole buffer
>         (progn
>           (setq current-block-start-line (line-number-at-pos (point-min) ) )
>           (setq current-block-end-line   (line-number-at-pos (point-max) ) ) ) )

Don't focus on line numbers, focus on buffer positions.

> It seems to work, but when I mark a region, that remove the region
> (i.e., unmark) and call the function again it seems that the function
> has still the region-beginning and region-end marks (i.e., it does not
> work on the whole buffer). Is there a smarter way to see if a region
> is currently active?

See mark-active-p, use-region-p documentation.

When you have this function written, if you post the whole thing here,
I'm sure people will give you some ideas on improving your code.

--
Le

* RE: creating a function that works for active region or whole buffer
@ 2013-01-22 17:18   ` Ludwig, Mark
       [not found]   ` <mailman.18089.1358876370.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> > I'd like to write a function that can be invoked when a region is
> > active, and therefore is limited to the region itself, or on the whole
> > buffer if not any region is active. Therefore in my function I placed
> > the following conditional to set the start-block and end-block lines
> > to the whole buffer or the whole region:
> >

> > (if (not (null (region-beginning) ) )
> >           (progn
> >
> >             (setq current-block-start-line (line-number-at-pos
> > (region-beginning) ) )
> >             (setq current-block-end-line   (line-number-at-pos
> > (region-end) ) ) )
> >
> >                                         ; else mark the whole buffer
> >         (progn
> >           (setq current-block-start-line (line-number-at-pos (point-min) ) )
> >           (setq current-block-end-line   (line-number-at-pos (point-max) ) ) ) )
>
> Don't focus on line numbers, focus on buffer positions.

Right!

> > It seems to work, but when I mark a region, that remove the region
> > (i.e., unmark) and call the function again it seems that the function
> > has still the region-beginning and region-end marks (i.e., it does not
> > work on the whole buffer). Is there a smarter way to see if a region
> > is currently active?
>
> See mark-active-p, use-region-p documentation.

I recommend just using (point-min) and (point-max) as these work appropriately in and out of a narrowed-region.

Cheers,
Mark

@ 2013-01-22 19:57     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2013-01-22 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.18089.1358876370.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 "Ludwig, Mark" <ludwig.mark@siemens.com> wrote:

> [...]

Who said anything about narrowing?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: creating a function that works for active region or whole buffer
@ 2013-01-23  7:41       ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-01-23  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Correct! Since I'm not interested in separating spaces from other
parts of the string I fixed the regexp to "^[ \t]*\\(.+\\):[ \t\n]*"
(at least one letter before the colon must be present).

Thanks guys!

@ 2013-01-23  7:43         ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-01-23  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ops...right answer to the wrong thread, sorry!
However below my function that is a simple indent behavior
(suggestions are welcome):

defun dataflex-indent-region-or-buffer ()
"This function indents the whole buffer or, in the case a region is
active, the active region."
  (interactive)

  (let ( (current-block-end-line 0 ) (current-block-start-line 0)
(current-indentation-step 0) (next-line-indentation-step 0) )
    (progn

      ;;  if using a region indent only such region, otherwise the whole buffer
      (if (use-region-p)
          ;;  using a region...
          (setq current-block-start-line (line-number-at-pos
(region-beginning) )
                current-block-end-line   (line-number-at-pos (region-end) ) )
        ;;  ...else use the whole buffer
        (setq current-block-start-line (line-number-at-pos (point-min) )
              current-block-end-line   (line-number-at-pos (point-max) ) ) )

      ;;  go to the starting line
      (goto-line current-block-start-line)

      ;;  go to the beginning of the line
      (beginning-of-line)

    (while (<= current-block-start-line current-block-end-line )
      (if (looking-at "^[ \t]*\\(IF\\|WHILE\\|BEGIN\\|LOOP\\)")
          ;; the BEGIN line has to be indented at the current level,
and the next
          ;;  line at a deeper level
          (setq next-line-indentation-step (+ current-indentation-step
dataflex-mode-indent-step) )
        ;;   else if looking at an END line remove the indentation
        (if (looking-at "^[ \t]*\\(END\\|RETURN\\|ABORT\\)")
            (progn
              (setq current-indentation-step (-
current-indentation-step dataflex-mode-indent-step) )
              (setq next-line-indentation-step current-indentation-step ) )
          ;;  else if this is a label line reset the indentation
          (if (looking-at  "^[ \t]*\\(.+\\):[ \t\n]*")
              (setq current-indentation-step 0
next-line-indentation-step dataflex-mode-indent-step-labels) ) ) )

      ;;  security check: do not indent at negative offset
      (if (< current-indentation-step 0 )
          (setq current-indentation-step 0) )
      (if (< next-line-indentation-step 0 )
          (setq next-line-indentation-step 0 ) )

      ;;  do the indent of the current line and go forward
      (indent-line-to current-indentation-step)
      (setq current-indentation-step next-line-indentation-step)
      (setq current-block-start-line (1+ current-block-start-line))
      (forward-line 1) ) ) ) )

* Re: creating a function that works for active region or whole buffer
@ 2013-01-28 14:02           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-01-28 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>           (setq current-block-start-line (line-number-at-pos
> (region-beginning) )
>                 current-block-end-line   (line-number-at-pos (region-end) ) )
>         ;;  ...else use the whole buffer
>         (setq current-block-start-line (line-number-at-pos (point-min) )
>               current-block-end-line   (line-number-at-pos (point-max) ) ) )

goto-line and line-number-at-pos are expensive operations that count
(and re-count and re-re-count every time) the number of LF chars from
the beginning of the buffer.

* Re: creating a function that works for active region or whole buffer
@ 2013-02-01 10:36             ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-02-01 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> goto-line and line-number-at-pos are expensive operations that count
> (and re-count and re-re-count every time) the number of LF chars from
> the beginning of the buffer.

I'm using them only at the beginning of the function, and therefore
once per function call, that does not sound very expensive to me. What
do you suggest instead?

From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-02-01 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> goto-line and line-number-at-pos are expensive operations that count
>> (and re-count and re-re-count every time) the number of LF chars from
>> the beginning of the buffer.
> I'm using them only at the beginning of the function, and therefore
> once per function call, that does not sound very expensive to me.
> What do you suggest instead?

Use buffer positions.  I.e. (point) and (goto-char POS).
After (goto-char POS) you may call (beginning-of-line) or (end-of-line)
if you want to make sure you're at a line boundary.