all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* indent-region
@ 2003-11-25 19:07 David Rasmussen
From: David Rasmussen @ 2003-11-25 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

The manual says that I can invoke this function with C-M-\. But I am
using a danish keyboard, on which the \ is not a "native" key in itself.
Instead, it is on the '<'-key, while pressing the Alt Graph key. I have
tried C-Alt Graph-'<', but it doesn't work.

Is there a way to see what key, if any, a function is bound to?

Is there anything else I should know, using emacs with a danish keyboard?

/David

* Re: indent-region
@ 2003-11-25 19:42 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-11-25 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Rasmussen <david.rasmussen@gmx.net> writes:

> The manual says that I can invoke this function with C-M-\. But I am
> using a danish keyboard, on which the \ is not a "native" key in
> itself. Instead, it is on the '<'-key, while pressing the Alt Graph
> key. I have tried C-Alt Graph-'<', but it doesn't work.

It _is_ possible to type with a Danish keyboard, but it's rather
inconvenient:

* Hold down Control, Meta and and Alt Gr
* Press < (while holding down the other three keys).
* Release *only* Alt Gr.
* Release the remaining three keys.

It's somewhat easier to use ESC instead of Meta:

* press ESC
* release ESc
* press Control-Alt Gr-<

For frequently used commands it's better to remap them to a better
location.

> Is there a way to see what key, if any, a function is bound to?

`C-h w'

* Re: indent-region
@ 2003-11-25 21:02   ` David Rasmussen
From: David Rasmussen @ 2003-11-25 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder wrote:

> It _is_ possible to type with a Danish keyboard, but it's rather
> inconvenient:
>
> * Hold down Control, Meta and and Alt Gr
> * Press < (while holding down the other three keys).
> * Release *only* Alt Gr.
> * Release the remaining three keys.

Doesn't work here.

> It's somewhat easier to use ESC instead of Meta:
>
> * press ESC
> * release ESc
> * press Control-Alt Gr-<

Doesn't work either.

> For frequently used commands it's better to remap them to a better
> location.

I guess I'll do that. When I found out how to :)

>>Is there a way to see what key, if any, a function is bound to?
>

> `C-h w'

Thanks.

/David

* Re: indent-region
@ 2003-11-26 13:34     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-11-26 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Rasmussen <david.rasmussen@gmx.net> writes:

> Jesper Harder wrote:
>
>> It _is_ possible to type with a Danish keyboard, but it's rather
>> inconvenient: [..]
>
> Doesn't work here.

It works on GNU/Linux.  ms-windows is possibly broken.

>> It's somewhat easier to use ESC instead of Meta:
>> * press ESC
>> * release ESc
>> * press Control-Alt Gr-<
>
> Doesn't work either.

What does `C-h k ESC C-\' say?

>> For frequently used commands it's better to remap them to a better
>> location.
>
> I guess I'll do that. When I found out how to :)

See the section "Init Rebinding" in the Emacs manual.

* Re: indent-region
@ 2003-11-26 14:51       ` David Rasmussen
From: David Rasmussen @ 2003-11-26 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder wrote:

> It works on GNU/Linux.  ms-windows is possibly broken.

Well, all sorts of keypresses can be detected under ms-windows, just as
with Linux. So if anything is broken, it's the application, not the OS.

I'm too lazy to try this on my linuxbox.

>>>It's somewhat easier to use ESC instead of Meta:
>>>* press ESC
>>>* release ESc
>>>* press Control-Alt Gr-<
>>
>>Doesn't work either.
>

> What does `C-h k ESC C-\' say?

ESC \ runs the command delete-horizontal-space
    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
(delete-horizontal-space &optional BACKWARD-ONLY)

Delete all spaces and tabs around point.
If BACKWARD-ONLY is non-nil, only delete spaces before point.

> See the section "Init Rebinding" in the Emacs manual.

Okay.

/David

* Re: indent-region
@ 2003-11-26 16:31         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-26 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Rasmussen wrote:

> Jesper Harder wrote:
>> It works on GNU/Linux.  ms-windows is possibly broken.
>
> Well, all sorts of keypresses can be detected under ms-windows, just as
> with Linux. So if anything is broken, it's the application, not the OS.
>> What does `C-h k ESC C-\' say?
>
> ESC \ runs the command delete-horizontal-space

That tells you that Emacs received \ instead of C-\, which means the OS
(or its window system or terminal) is misconfigured.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: indent-region
@ 2003-11-26 16:35           ` David Rasmussen
From: David Rasmussen @ 2003-11-26 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> That tells you that Emacs received \ instead of C-\,

I know.

> which means the OS
> (or its window system or terminal) is misconfigured.

Or the application is. Other applications can easily detect that CTRL,
ALT _and_ ALT GR is pressed simultaneously with \. If emacs for Windows
can't, it has a bug.

/David

* Re: indent-region
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-11-26 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Or the application is. Other applications can easily detect that CTRL, ALT
> _and_ ALT GR is pressed simultaneously with \. If emacs for Windows can't,
> it has a bug.

I've used C-/ under Windows recently (using an Emacs-CVS build) and it
worked just fine (thankfully: I use this `undo' binding very heavily).
Maybe it's a bug that got fixed, or maybe it depends on something else.

* Re: indent-region
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-11-26 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Or the application is. Other applications can easily detect that CTRL, ALT
>> _and_ ALT GR is pressed simultaneously with \. If emacs for Windows can't,
>> it has a bug.

> I've used C-/ under Windows recently (using an Emacs-CVS build) and it
> worked just fine (thankfully: I use this `undo' binding very heavily).
> Maybe it's a bug that got fixed, or maybe it depends on something else.

Duh!!  Not sure what I was smoking, but in any case: sorry, so I haven't
tried C-\ with or without Alt(Gr).
Maybe I should try and read the messages that I reply to, for a change.