all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Rebind backspace to modifier
@ 2007-04-20 14:46 weber
From: weber @ 2007-04-20 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello group!

I'd like to know if there is a way to rebind backspace to be a super
or hyper modifier.
(without getting into linux xmodmap, because i also use emacs on
winxp, at work)
Thanks in advance!
-weber

* Re: Rebind backspace to modifier
@ 2007-04-25  5:04 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-04-25  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'd like to know if there is a way to rebind backspace to be a super
> or hyper modifier.

Yes.  Check the C-x @ function key map translations.
I.e.

   (define-key function-key-map [backspace] 'event-apply-hyper-modifier)

might do what you want,

* Re: Rebind backspace to modifier
@ 2007-04-25 17:51   ` Amy Templeton
From: Amy Templeton @ 2007-04-25 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'd like to know if there is a way to rebind backspace to be a super
> or hyper modifier.

If you're on a GNU/Linux system (or other system running X,
you might check out the utility xmodmap. It allows you to
globally redefine keys in X. So for example, I've used it to
put control where caps lock used to be, Hyper on right alt,
and add a 3rd-level shift and a prefix key that eases
inserting accented characters.

Amy

* Re: Rebind backspace to modifier
@ 2007-04-27  4:34   ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-04-27  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan,
This worked out great, it acts like a sticky key but that doesn't
bother me at all!
Regards,
weber

Amy: thanks for suggestion, but I was looking for something that
worked on win xp too (because i need to use it at work :))