all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Automating TAGS file usage
@ 2010-08-10  6:51 Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-08-10  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I surely can't be the first to want to generate and visit my TAGS files
automagically, rather than having to go through the manual process of
etags *.foo or whatever, followed by visit-tags-table. Since there are
flyspell, flymake, and I don't know what other fly* modes, I don't see
why etags couldn't be run in that manner as well. Has anyone already
tried this?

--
Gary
GNU Emacs 23.2.1

* Re: Automating TAGS file usage
@ 2010-08-10  8:33 ` filebat Mark
From: filebat Mark @ 2010-08-10  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I am also extremely interested in this!

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Gary <help-gnu-emacs@garydjones.name>wrote:

> I surely can't be the first to want to generate and visit my TAGS files
> automagically, rather than having to go through the manual process of
> etags *.foo or whatever, followed by visit-tags-table. Since there are
> flyspell, flymake, and I don't know what other fly* modes, I don't see
> why etags couldn't be run in that manner as well. Has anyone already
> tried this?
>
> --
> Gary
> GNU Emacs 23.2.1
> emacsclient 23.2
> 1.7.4(0.225/5/3) 2010-04-07 11:02 Cygwin

--
Thanks & Regards

Denny Zhang

* Re: Automating TAGS file usage
@ 2010-08-10  8:43   ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2010-08-10  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 10.08.2010 11:33, filebat Mark wrote:

> I am also extremely interested in this!
>
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Gary <help-gnu-emacs@garydjones.name
> <mailto:help-gnu-emacs@garydjones.name>> wrote:
>
>     I surely can't be the first to want to generate and visit my TAGS files
>     automagically, rather than having to go through the manual process of
>     etags *.foo or whatever, followed by visit-tags-table. Since there are
>     flyspell, flymake, and I don't know what other fly* modes, I don't see
>     why etags couldn't be run in that manner as well. Has anyone already
>     tried this?

Read recent discussion about automatic TAGS visiting:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/74280

* Re: Automating TAGS file usage
       [not found] <mailman.4.1281423114.31516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-08-10  8:56 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-08-10  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I surely can't be the first to want to generate and visit my TAGS files
> automagically, rather than having to go through the manual process of
> etags *.foo or whatever, followed by visit-tags-table. Since there are
> flyspell, flymake, and I don't know what other fly* modes, I don't see
> why etags couldn't be run in that manner as well. Has anyone already
> tried this?

A different but comparable solution is provided by Semantic (part of
the CEDET package, which will be included in Emacs-24).

* Re: Automating TAGS file usage
@ 2010-08-10 14:53     ` filebat Mark
From: filebat Mark @ 2010-08-10 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksandr Gavenko; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

The package of etags-table is quite handy. It automatically loads TAGS file,
which is located in the direct/indirect parent directory.

If we register crond jobs to rebuild TAGS periodically, we don't need to
worry about the feature of finding function's definition any more.

Regards,
Denny

@ 2010-08-12  9:16     ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-08-12  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
> On 10.08.2010 11:33, filebat Mark wrote:
>>
>> I am also extremely interested in this!
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Gary wrote:
>>
>>     I surely can't be the first to want to generate and visit my TAGS files
>>     automagically, rather than having to go through the manual process of
>>     etags *.foo or whatever, followed by visit-tags-table. Since there are
>>     flyspell, flymake, and I don't know what other fly* modes, I don't see
>>     why etags couldn't be run in that manner as well. Has anyone already
>>     tried this?
>>
> Read recent discussion about automatic TAGS visiting:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/74280

Thanks. Am looking into that now.