all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* search for identifier at point
@ 2010-08-19 12:51 rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-08-19 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there any (simple) way when I am navigating a file to search for
occurrences of identifier at point?
In other words I want find-tag without having tags but just the mode's
notion of identifier

* Re: search for identifier at point
@ 2010-08-19 12:56 ` Marc Mientki
From: Marc Mientki @ 2010-08-19 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.08.2010 14:51, schrieb rustom:
> Is there any (simple) way when I am navigating a file to search for
> occurrences of identifier at point?
> In other words I want find-tag without having tags but just the mode's
> notion of identifier

Incremental search?
C-s C-w at begin of indentifier.

regards
Marc

* Re: search for identifier at point
@ 2010-08-19 13:04   ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-08-19 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2010-08-19 13:06     ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-08-19 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 19, 6:04 pm, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 19, 5:56 pm, Marc Mientki <mien...@nonet.com> wrote:
>
> > Am 19.08.2010 14:51, schrieb rustom:
>
> > > Is there any (simple) way when I am navigating a file to search for
> > > occurrences of identifier at point?
> > > In other words I want find-tag without having tags but just the mode's
> > > notion of identifier
>
> > Incremental search?
> > C-s C-w at begin of indentifier.
>
> > regards
> > Marc

But I may not be at beginning of identifier
In fact mostly when browsing the file one most likely reached there
with a C-s and so point is somewhere halfway inside the identifier

[Sorry for last empty post]

* Re: search for identifier at point
@ 2010-08-19 15:26       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-08-19 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> But I may not be at beginning of identifier
> In fact mostly when browsing the file one most likely reached there
> with a C-s and so point is somewhere halfway inside the identifier

You can hit C-M-b before C-s C-w, so you jump to the beginning of
the identifier.

* Re: search for identifier at point
@ 2010-08-20 14:37         ` jpkotta
From: jpkotta @ 2010-08-20 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 19, 10:26 am, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > But I may not be at beginning of identifier
> > In fact mostly when browsing the file one most likely reached there
> > with a C-s and so point is somewhere halfway inside the identifier
>
> You can hit C-M-b before C-s C-w, so you jump to the beginning of
> the identifier.
>
>         Stefan

I have extended thing-opt.el (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/
ThingAtPointOptional) to add things to the isearch string.  I want to
extend it to replace-regexp too, but I haven't gotten to it.  Here's
what I have so far: http://pastebin.com/R3jeLwuU.  Using this, you
would start isearch with C-s, then hit M-@ to start selecting things.

* Re: search for identifier at point
@ 2010-08-20 21:36           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-08-20 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> ThingAtPointOptional) to add things to the isearch string.  I want to
> extend it to replace-regexp too, but I haven't gotten to it.

Don't worry about it.  The best way to do replace is C-s .... M-%, so
having it work for C-s is all that's needed.

> Here's what I have so far: http://pastebin.com/R3jeLwuU.  Using this,
> you would start isearch with C-s, then hit M-@ to start
> selecting things.

That sounds like a good way to go about it, indeed.