all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What is the entry point of elisp interpreter
@ 2017-03-23  4:00 Pankaj Doharey
From: Pankaj Doharey @ 2017-03-23  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Everyone,

I was trying to find the first place in the emacs source code where the elisp interpreter executes the first elisp code. As in what is the entry point where elisp execution begins. Can someone point me to the file where it begins, since the source code is quite huge.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: What is the entry point of elisp interpreter
@ 2017-03-23 14:26 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2017-03-23 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Doharey; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Pankaj Doharey <pankajdoharey@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I was trying to find the first place in the emacs source code where the elisp
> interpreter executes the first elisp code. As in what is the entry point where
> elisp execution begins. Can someone point me to the file where it begins,
> since the source code is quite huge.

"command_loop" in keyboard.c is probably what you are looking for.

In terms of entry points, emacs.c contains the main method, and it
completes (perhaps in a slightly unintuitive way) with this call.

  /* Enter editor command loop.  This never returns.  */
  Frecursive_edit ();

Phil

* Re: What is the entry point of elisp interpreter
@ 2017-03-24  2:16 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-03-24  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I was trying to find the first place in the emacs source code where the
> elisp interpreter executes the first elisp code. As in what is the entry
> point where elisp execution begins. Can someone point me to the file where
> it begins, since the source code is quite huge.

One good starting point might be the `top-level` variable which just
calls the `normal-top-level` function.