all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using html-quick-keys with nxml-mode
@ 2004-03-03  9:42 Steffen Glückselig
From: Steffen Glückselig @ 2004-03-03  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am new to emacs and plan to mainly use it for publishing xhtml. I've got
the TEI-emacs-package and set up nxml-mode to be associated with
html-files (I have not converted to the xhtml-extension yet).
I've noticed in html-mode there is an entry in the menu-bar (HTML) that
holds some html-elements associated to hotkeys to place them into the
source.
I would like to have that menu-entry and the shortcuts available in
nxml-mode, too. Is that possible? I've noticed that the entries are
defined in sgml-mode.el. Could I link that definition to the nxml-mode?
How so?
Or should I switch back to sgml/html-mode, though my documents are
actually xhtml?

regards
Steffen

* Using html-quick-keys with nxml-mode
@ 2004-03-04  8:02 Steffen Glückselig
From: Steffen Glückselig @ 2004-03-04  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am new to emacs and plan to mainly use it for publishing xhtml. I've got
the TEI-emacs-package and set up nxml-mode to be associated with
html-files (I have not converted to the xhtml-extension yet).
I've noticed in html-mode there is an entry in the menu-bar (HTML) that
holds some html-elements associated to hotkeys to place them into the
source.
I would like to have that menu-entry and the shortcuts available in
nxml-mode, too. Is that possible? I've noticed that the entries are
defined in sgml-mode.el. Could I link that definition to the nxml-mode?
How so?
Or should I switch back to sgml/html-mode, though my documents are
actually xhtml?

regards
Steffen

* Re: Using html-quick-keys with nxml-mode
       [not found] <mailman.1053.1078411190.340.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-03-04 16:32 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-03-04 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Glu"ckselig wrote:
 > I am new to emacs and plan to mainly use it for publishing xhtml. I've
 > got the TEI-emacs-package and set up nxml-mode to be associated with
 > html-files (I have not converted to the xhtml-extension yet).  I've
 > noticed in html-mode there is an entry in the menu-bar (HTML) that
 > holds some html-elements associated to hotkeys to place them into the
 > source.
 >
 > I would like to have that menu-entry and the shortcuts available in
 > nxml-mode, too. Is that possible? I've noticed that the entries are
 > defined in sgml-mode.el. Could I link that definition to the
 > nxml-mode?  How so?

Most of the HTML menu-bar commands in sgml-mode.el are defined as
skeletons, so I think they could be used in any other major mode.  It
might be as simple as this:

(require 'sgml-mode)	; for html-mode-map
(define-key nxml-mode-map [menu-bar html]
   (lookup-key html-mode-map [menu-bar html]))

 > Or should I switch back to sgml/html-mode, though my documents are
 > actually xhtml?

I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect nxml-mode is better for XHTML
documents.  You might also want to ask on the emacs-nxml-mode discussion
group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/emacs-nxml-mode/

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2004-03-04 19:06 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-03-04 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Or should I switch back to sgml/html-mode, though my documents are
> actually xhtml?

The sgml-mode.el in Emacs-21.3 is very simple.
The version in Emacs-CVS (which you can grab from
savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs by browsing the CVS server) has added
indentation and xml support, including xhtml support.
It's still a much more simple mode than psgml (and nxml as well) that does
not require (nor use) any DTD or similar info.  I.e. it's not
very intelligent.

* Re: Using html-quick-keys with nxml-mode
@ 2004-03-11 14:31   ` Steffen Glückselig
From: Steffen Glückselig @ 2004-03-11 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:32:10 -0700, Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Hello,

> (require 'sgml-mode)	; for html-mode-map
> (define-key nxml-mode-map [menu-bar html]
>    (lookup-key html-mode-map [menu-bar html]))
This gives me a
	Symbol's value as variable is void: nxml-mode-map
on startup!?

regards
Steffen