all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how do I disable margin displays?
@ 2004-11-22 17:58 Brian Paul
From: Brian Paul @ 2004-11-22 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently upgraded to emacs 21.3.1 (included with Fedora Core 3).

I want to completely disable the margins displayed on the left and
right edges of the window.

I've read this:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/elisp-manual/html_chapter/elisp_38.html#SEC645

But I don't know how to implement this in my .emacs file.
The following doesn't work (for example):

(setq left-margin-width 0)

Thanks.

-Brian

* Re: how do I disable margin displays?
       [not found] <mailman.709.1101146773.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-11-22 19:07 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-11-22 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I want to completely disable the margins displayed on the left and right
> edges of the window.

You're confusing margins and fringes.  Margins are very rarely used.
The code to allow customizing the presence of fringes is not in Emacs-21.3,
you need to have Emacs-CVS for that.