all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* default values for lisp-*-loop-indentation variables
@ 2009-10-29  9:42 Tobias C. Rittweiler
From: Tobias C. Rittweiler @ 2009-10-29  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The default values for `lisp-simple-loop-indentation',
`lisp-loop-keyword-indentation', and `lisp-loop-forms-indentation' seem
to be selected for the case that you want to indent loop forms like

  (loop
     for x from ...
     for y from ...
     do ..body..)

But my impression from reading (Common) Lisp code in the wild is that
most people actually do not want to place an extra newline after the
LOOP symbol, and prefer to write

  (loop for x from ...
        for y from ...
        do ..body..)

With current values, not inserting a newline after the LOOP symbol
results in

  (loop for x from ...
     for y from ...
     do ..body..)

hich isn't pretty at all.

What are the chances to change to default values to the following?

  (setq lisp-simple-loop-indentation 2
        lisp-loop-keyword-indentation 6
        lisp-loop-forms-indentation 6)

  -T.

* Re: default values for lisp-*-loop-indentation variables
@ 2009-10-29 14:18 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-10-29 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias C. Rittweiler; +Cc: emacs-devel

> What are the chances to change to default values to the following?

>   (setq lisp-simple-loop-indentation 2
>         lisp-loop-keyword-indentation 6
>         lisp-loop-forms-indentation 6)

I think that changing the defaults like this is the wrong solution.
Instead the indentation code should handle both cases correctly.