all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com>
Cc: 9291@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#9291: 23.3.50; Emacs takes long time to start up due to DNS
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 23:01:45 -0400	[thread overview]

> On my machine, emacs -q -nw normally takes 0.1 seconds. But I have just
> found that it could take more than 10 seconds on some network. I have
> this device that provides wifi/wapi through the telencom network here,
> so the behaviour is readily reproducible. Let me know how I may provide
> more information for debugging. AFAICT this happens in 24.0.50 too.

I think you'll find an answer in etc/PROBLEMS:

*** Emacs startup on GNU/Linux systems (and possibly other systems) is slow.

This can happen if the system is misconfigured and Emacs can't get the
full qualified domain name, FQDN.  You should have your FQDN in the
/etc/hosts file, something like this:

127.0.0.1	localhost
129.187.137.82	nuc04.t30.physik.tu-muenchen.de	nuc04

> BTW, is it possible for init_system_name to be done async?

Could be.