all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Push is complete
@ 2014-11-12 14:31 Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-11-12 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bob Proulx; +Cc: emacs-devel

Repository push is complete.  Please set

[receive]
	denynonfastforwards = true

in the repository config.

Also, please run git repack there - I firot to do that before I pushed
and it will reduce the download time.

Once you let me know this is done, I will re-clone as a test.  Once I
know that has succeeded I will announce on emacs-devel that commits
are open.

Rapists just *love* unarmed women.  And the politicians who disarm them.

* Re: Push is complete
@ 2014-11-12 21:02 ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2014-11-12 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eric S. Raymond; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Repository push is complete.  Please set
>
> [receive]
> 	denynonfastforwards = true
>
> in the repository config.

Already done.  I set that up for the pristine repository reset.

> Also, please run git repack there - I firot to do that before I pushed
> and it will reduce the download time.

Will do.

> Once you let me know this is done, I will re-clone as a test.  Once I
> know that has succeeded I will announce on emacs-devel that commits
> are open.

I will let you know when it is done.  Unfortuantely vcs had a
load/resource problem today.  We rebooted it to rescue it from a
browned out 350+ load problem.  Currently it is distressed trying to
keep up with all of the incoming git requests for all projects.  I am
going to let it settle down a little and then will repack when the
system has more idle cycles available.

Also let me know if you are ready to add commit notification emails.

Bob

* Re: Push is complete
@ 2014-11-12 21:24   ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-11-12 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>:
> I will let you know when it is done.  Unfortuantely vcs had a
> load/resource problem today.  We rebooted it to rescue it from a
> browned out 350+ load problem.  Currently it is distressed trying to
> keep up with all of the incoming git requests for all projects.  I am
> going to let it settle down a little and then will repack when the
> system has more idle cycles available.

Thanks.

> Also let me know if you are ready to add commit notification emails.

Go right ahead.  Don't wait on me for that.

* Re: Push is complete
@ 2014-11-12 22:13   ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2014-11-12 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eric S. Raymond, emacs-devel

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Unfortuantely vcs had a load/resource problem today.  We rebooted it
> to rescue it from a browned out 350+ load problem.  Currently it is
> distressed trying to keep up with all of the incoming git requests
> for all projects.  I am going to let it settle down a little and
> then will repack when the system has more idle cycles available.

Alfred suggested that this may be due to everyone trying to fetch the
new emacs repository.  I think he is right.  But see this...

  vcs:~# du -sh /srv/git/emacs.git
  13G     /srv/git/emacs.git

If everyone is trying to download 13G of git respository that is going
to overload the system.  And I think it has been overloading the
system all day!  Like Scotty says, "The engines can't take the strain
Captain."

I have disabled the repository for the moment so as to allow the
system to recover but still serve other projects.

Is there any way that you could repack the repository before
uploading?  As I recall previous attempts had the size down to around
300M or so?  Did something unexpected happen in the latest conversion?
I don't think vcs has the horsepower to repack something that large.

I see that some automated task has recreated an empty repository.  I
guess some script was written to require the repository to be there.
I can't do anything about that at the moment.

Bob

* Re: Push is complete
@ 2014-11-12 22:22     ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-11-12 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>:
> Is there any way that you could repack the repository before
> uploading?

I'm doing so now.

>        As I recall previous attempts had the size down to around
> 300M or so?  Did something unexpected happen in the latest conversion?

No, I just forgot to repack it.  I might have to add that to
reposurgeon's output stage so I don't shoot self in foot again.

> I see that some automated task has recreated an empty repository.  I
> guess some script was written to require the repository to be there.
> I can't do anything about that at the moment.

No problem.  I'll push when the repack is done.

* Re: Push is complete
@ 2014-11-12 22:38     ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2014-11-12 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Bob Proulx wrote:
> I see that some automated task has recreated an empty repository.  I
> guess some script was written to require the repository to be there.
> I can't do anything about that at the moment.

It also looks like there are multiple people (and possibly automated
processes) editing the git config file.  It would be good if anyone
who is editing that file would be so kind as to drop me a note to
coordinate.  Otherwise when I re-enable things subsequent edits will
surely be lost there.

Bob

* Re: Push is complete
@ 2014-11-12 23:02       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-11-12 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bob Proulx; +Cc: emacs-devel

> It also looks like there are multiple people (and possibly automated
> processes) editing the git config file.  It would be good if anyone
> who is editing that file would be so kind as to drop me a note to
> coordinate.  Otherwise when I re-enable things subsequent edits will
> surely be lost there.

FWIW, I don't even know how to modify this file.  Doesn't it require
more access rights than just "write access to the repository"?

* Re: Push is complete
@ 2014-11-12 23:22         ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2014-11-12 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > It also looks like there are multiple people (and possibly automated
> > processes) editing the git config file.  It would be good if anyone
> > who is editing that file would be so kind as to drop me a note to
> > coordinate.  Otherwise when I re-enable things subsequent edits will
> > surely be lost there.
>
> FWIW, I don't even know how to modify this file.  Doesn't it require
> more access rights than just "write access to the repository"?

Yes.  It requires more access.  In particular shell access.  But
several people have shell access no problem.

I noticed that when I moved the 13G repository out of the way that a
cron task created an empty repository.  Then later I noticed that the
config file had been modified.  So I assume that there are multiple
people working on the task.  Which is fine.  But somewhere along the
way I am sure someone's edit will be lost.

Bob

* Re: Push is complete
@ 2014-11-13  0:33           ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-11-13  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bob Proulx, emacs-devel

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>:
> I noticed that when I moved the 13G repository out of the way that a
> cron task created an empty repository.  Then later I noticed that the
> config file had been modified.  So I assume that there are multiple
> people working on the task.  Which is fine.  But somewhere along the
> way I am sure someone's edit will be lost.

I don't know of anyone working on it but you and me.

Anyone on this list screwing with the repo *please stop*! You're getting
in the way of us finishing this.

* Re: Push is complete
@ 2014-11-13  3:22             ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-11-13  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eric S. Raymond; +Cc: Bob Proulx, emacs-devel

AFAICT, the new repository is up and running, and a mere 177MB download.
Thank you very much Eric,