all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#71479: 30.0.50; describe-key description incorrect when using input methods
@ 2024-06-10 16:45 Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2024-06-10 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 71479

emacs -Q
C-u C-\ cyrillic-translit
C-h z h

=>
    ж (translated from h ж) runs the command
    self-insert-command (found in global-map), which is an interactive
    primitive-function in ‘C source code’.

This should say '*translated from z h)'. The underlying reason is that
quail.el messes around with `last-command-event', which confuses
describe-key.

I doubt this issue is confined to this particular input method.

Robert

* bug#71479: 30.0.50; describe-key description incorrect when using input methods
@ 2024-06-10 22:02 ` Jeremy Bryant via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Jeremy Bryant via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2024-06-10 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: 71479

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> emacs -Q
> C-u C-\ cyrillic-translit
> C-h z h

When testing, I get
C-h z is undefined

@ 2024-06-11  7:33   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2024-06-11  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Bryant; +Cc: 71479

    Jeremy> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
    >> emacs -Q
    >> C-u C-\ cyrillic-translit
    >> C-h z h

    Jeremy> When testing, I get
    Jeremy> C-h z is undefined

Because I messed up the key binding, it should be 'C-h k z'

Robert

* bug#71479: 30.0.50; describe-key description incorrect when using input methods
@ 2024-06-11 20:18     ` Jeremy Bryant via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Jeremy Bryant via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2024-06-11 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: 71479

>     Jeremy> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
>     >> emacs -Q
>     >> C-u C-\ cyrillic-translit
>     >> C-h z h
>
>     Jeremy> When testing, I get
>     Jeremy> C-h z is undefined
>
> Because I messed up the key binding, it should be 'C-h k z'
>
> Robert

As I test this (on 29.3), the result is:

з (translated from <return> з) runs the command self-insert-command

* bug#71479: 30.0.50; describe-key description incorrect when using input methods
@ 2024-06-15 10:41 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-06-15 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim, Stefan Monnier; +Cc: 71479

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 18:45:36 +0200
>

> emacs -Q
> C-u C-\ cyrillic-translit
> C-h k z h
>
> =>
>     ж (translated from h ж) runs the command
>     self-insert-command (found in global-map), which is an interactive
>     primitive-function in ‘C source code’.
>
> This should say '*translated from z h)'. The underlying reason is that
> quail.el messes around with `last-command-event', which confuses
> describe-key.
>
> I doubt this issue is confined to this particular input method.

Right, it looks like the problem is in this-single-command-raw-keys,
and more deeply in what we store in the raw_keybuf vector.

Stefan, any suggestions for how we could fix this?

* bug#71479: 30.0.50; describe-key description incorrect when using input methods
@ 2024-06-15 14:34   ` Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2024-06-15 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Robert Pluim, 71479

>> C-h k z h
>> =>
>>     ж (translated from h ж) runs the command

Eww.

>> This should say '*translated from z h)'. The underlying reason is that
>> quail.el messes around with `last-command-event', which confuses
>> describe-key.
> Right, it looks like the problem is in this-single-command-raw-keys,
> and more deeply in what we store in the raw_keybuf vector.

I don't have a deep enough understanding of all the elements in play to
have a good idea how to fix it.  All I can say is that IMO `raw_keybuf`
should never see ж because that is simply not the "raw" input.