all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: color-moccur -- multi-buffer occur mode
       [not found] <bpnj1k$bsi$1@caraway.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
@ 2003-11-24  0:57 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-11-24  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> moccur is a major mode modelled after the 'Occur' mode of the
> standard distribution. It is quite nice to use when you need to
> work with a lot of buffers.

You might want to take a look at the Emacs-CVS code where occur.el
has been expanded with some kind of multi-occur thingy.
I haven't looked at your code and neither have I looked at the multi-occur
thingy in Emacs-CVS, so maybe they have nothing in common other than their
name, tho.

* Re: color-moccur -- multi-buffer occur mode
@ 2003-11-26  3:09   ` Akihisa
From: Akihisa @ 2003-11-26  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote
> You might want to take a look at the Emacs-CVS code where occur.el
> has been expanded with some kind of multi-occur thingy.
> I haven't looked at your code and neither have I looked at the multi-occur
> thingy in Emacs-CVS, so maybe they have nothing in common other than their
> name, tho.

I didn't know that... So I tried out multi-occur.
I think multi-occur is similar to moccur of color-moccur,
but color-moccur has many advantages.

Interface

  - color-moccur:M-x moccur regexp
  - multi-occur:M-x multi-occur buffer-name1 buffer-name2... regexp

  I have to type buffer-names to search in multi-occur. But I'm too
  lazy to type buffer-names.

Goto-Occurrences

  multi-occur shows *Occur* buffer. If I'd like to display the
  occurrence, I have to type "C-c C-c C-x o" many times. If I use
  color-moccur, just type only "j" or "cursor key".

Regexp

  To search "(defun multi-occur (" and "(defun moccur (", I have to
  type "defun.+occur". In color-moccur (if moccur-split-word is non-nil),
  just type "defun occur".

Other functions

  dmoccur:open files and run moccur. It's very powerful. You can set a
  name and a directory to search (or directories), defalut regexp (or
  function to make regexp), to recursively search. It's easy to search
  time-string or files in deep directory tree.
  But it's complicated to customize.

  dired-do-moccur, Buffer-menu-moccur, ibuffer-do-occur

Akihisa Matsushita : akihisa@mail.ne.jp

* Re: color-moccur -- multi-buffer occur mode
@ 2003-11-26 14:55     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-11-26 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> You might want to take a look at the Emacs-CVS code where occur.el
>> has been expanded with some kind of multi-occur thingy.
>> I haven't looked at your code and neither have I looked at the multi-occur
>> thingy in Emacs-CVS, so maybe they have nothing in common other than their
>> name, tho.

> I didn't know that... So I tried out multi-occur.
> I think multi-occur is similar to moccur of color-moccur,
> but color-moccur has many advantages.

I'm sure it has.  As an Emacs maintainer, I wish you could merge your
code into Emacs's occur.el (as an enhancement of multi-occur), which
is why I pointed it out ;-)