all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and SELinux contexts
@ 2010-06-07  6:39 Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-06-07  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

I have noticed something with emacs on GNU/Linux systems. When you edit
something with Emacs, the SELinux  context of the file doesn't stay
preserved. This could be an issue when you edit configuration or policy
files as root. A system setting file usually has a context like this,

system_u:object_r:usr_t:s0

but upon editing with Emacs it changes to

unconfined_u:object_r:usr_t:s0

I don't know how severe this is but maybe its worth looking at?
Specially when this problem is absent for other editors. I tried this
with nano, vim and  mousepad. None of them had this issue. Can this be
filed as a bug? Where would be the appropriate place to file this? The
Emacs bugzilla or the bugzilla for my distribution?

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Emacs and SELinux contexts
       [not found] <mailman.22.1275892792.30245.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-06-07  7:10 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-06-07  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Suvayu Ali wrote:

> I have noticed something with emacs on GNU/Linux systems. When you
> edit something with Emacs, the SELinux  context of the file doesn't
> stay preserved.

This feature is present in the Emacs Bzr trunk, ie will be in Emacs 24.1.
See etc/NEWS for more details.

* Re: Emacs and SELinux contexts
@ 2010-06-07  9:58 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2010-06-07  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 08:39, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have noticed something with emacs on GNU/Linux systems. When you edit
> something with Emacs, the SELinux  context of the file doesn't stay
> preserved. This could be an issue when you edit configuration or policy
> files as root. A system setting file usually has a context like this,

The etc/NEWS currently on the Emacs repository has this:

  ** Basic SELinux support has been added.
  This requires Emacs to be linked with libselinux at build time.

  *** Emacs preserves the SELinux file context when backing up, and
  optionally when copying files. To this end, copy-file has an extra
  optional argument, and backup-buffer and friends include the SELinux
  context in their return values.

  *** The new functions file-selinux-context and set-file-selinux-context
  get and set the SELinux context of a file.

  *** Tramp offers handlers for file-selinux-context and
set-file-selinux-context
  for remote machines which support SELinux.

so (some) SELinux support will be included on 24.1. Unfortunately,
that will likely be many months from now.

If you need that support now you can try building Emacs directly from
the current development sources.

    Juanma

* Re: Emacs and SELinux contexts
@ 2010-06-07 14:48   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-06-07 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 07 June 2010 02:58 AM, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 08:39, Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I have noticed something with emacs on GNU/Linux systems. When you edit
>> something with Emacs, the SELinux  context of the file doesn't stay
>> preserved. This could be an issue when you edit configuration or policy
>> files as root. A system setting file usually has a context like this,
>
> The etc/NEWS currently on the Emacs repository has this:
>
>    ** Basic SELinux support has been added.
>    This requires Emacs to be linked with libselinux at build time.
>
>    *** Emacs preserves the SELinux file context when backing up, and
>    optionally when copying files. To this end, copy-file has an extra
>    optional argument, and backup-buffer and friends include the SELinux
>    context in their return values.
>
>    *** The new functions file-selinux-context and set-file-selinux-context
>    get and set the SELinux context of a file.
>
>    *** Tramp offers handlers for file-selinux-context and
> set-file-selinux-context
>    for remote machines which support SELinux.
>
> so (some) SELinux support will be included on 24.1. Unfortunately,
> that will likely be many months from now.
>
> If you need that support now you can try building Emacs directly from
> the current development sources.

Thank you very much, Juanma. :)

--

@ 2010-06-07 16:27 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-06-07 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I have noticed something with emacs on GNU/Linux systems. When you edit
> something with Emacs, the SELinux  context of the file doesn't stay
> preserved. This could be an issue when you edit configuration or policy

As mentioned, there is improved support in the trunk (i.e. for
Emacs-24), but since this won't be released in the near future, maybe
playing around with backup-by-copying and some of its friends will let
you work around the problem in the mean time.

        Stefan

PS: I say "maybe" because I know nothing about SELinux.