all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* vc-start-entry and add-log-current-defun, vc-comment-to-change-log
@ 2011-03-24 19:04 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2011-03-24 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello

I always found it a little annoying that add-change-log-entry
and vc-start-entry could lead to similar but different
entries in the corresponding log files.

vc-comment-to-change-log allows you to insert vc entries to
the Changelog, but changelog has at least for me the nicer
format.

Anyhow I came up with a small modification for
vc-start-entry, which uses add-log-current-defun.

But  I found my solution not very elegant so are there plans
to implement such a feature in the vc packages?

Uwe Brauer

* Re: vc-start-entry and add-log-current-defun, vc-comment-to-change-log
@ 2011-03-25  1:28 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-03-25  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I always found it a little annoying that add-change-log-entry
> and vc-start-entry could lead to similar but different
> entries in the corresponding log files.

I don't know what you mean by vc-start-entry.

> vc-comment-to-change-log allows you to insert vc entries to the
> Changelog, but changelog has at least for me the nicer format.

That's why log-edit-mode provides C-c C-a to bring the ChangeLog entry
into the VC-Log buffer before committing.

> But  I found my solution not very elegant so are there plans
> to implement such a feature in the vc packages?

I'd like to see C-x 4 a changed so that it can work without
a ChangeLog file.  E.g., it could add entries directly to *VC-Log*, or
maybe use some special file instead (so it can auto-save log comments
before in case you take a while writing them).
Patches welcome,

* Re: vc-start-entry and add-log-current-defun, vc-comment-to-change-log
@ 2011-03-26 11:31   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2011-03-26 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> Regarding Re: vc-start-entry and add-log-current-defun,
>> vc-comment-to-change-log; Stefan Monnier
>> <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> adds:

   >> I always found it a little annoying that add-change-log-entry
   >> and vc-start-entry could lead to similar but different
   >> entries in the corresponding log files.

   > I don't know what you mean by vc-start-entry.

It seems that I use an ancient vc version. In my version
vc-next-action
calls
vc-next-action-on-file
calls
vc-checkin
calls
vc-start-entry

And it is this last function which I wanted to change and
add
  (let ((defun (add-log-current-defun)))

at the beginning of that function and later insert defun.

   >> vc-comment-to-change-log allows you to insert vc entries to the
   >> Changelog, but changelog has at least for me the nicer format.

   > That's why log-edit-mode provides C-c C-a to bring the ChangeLog entry
   > into the VC-Log buffer before committing.

I have not seen this feature in my vc version! No wait I am
confused you say I can use C-c C-a in  ChangeLog, well not
in GNU emacs 22 I am using. Can you please clarify?

@ 2011-03-26 12:22     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-03-26 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> vc-comment-to-change-log allows you to insert vc entries to the
>>> Changelog, but changelog has at least for me the nicer format.
>> That's why log-edit-mode provides C-c C-a to bring the ChangeLog entry
>> into the VC-Log buffer before committing.
> I have not seen this feature in my vc version! No wait I am
> confused you say I can use C-c C-a in  ChangeLog, well not
> in GNU emacs 22 I am using. Can you please clarify?

The C-c C-a is in the VC-Log buffer, not in the ChangeLog buffer.
I.e. you first write your ChangeLog with C-x 4 a as usual and once
you're done, you do the C-x v v command to commit, which brings up
a VC-Log buffer into which you can hit C-c C-a to bring in a copy of the
ChangeLog entry you just typed.
You can also add log-edit-insert-changelog to log-edit-hook so it's done
for you automatically.