all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 f785ff4: Clarify documentation of before/after-change-functions
       [not found] ` <20160809165416.A7F9A220165@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2016-08-09 17:59   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-08-09 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii

> -This variable holds a list of functions to call before any buffer
> -modification.  Each function gets two arguments, the beginning and end
> +This variable holds a list of functions to call before most buffer
> +modifications.  Each function gets two arguments, the beginning and end

This looks wrong.  It should be called before *every* modification.
syntax-ppss relies on this property, for example.
And I can't think of any reason why we couldn't preserve that property.

In which case is it not run?

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 f785ff4: Clarify documentation of before/after-change-functions
@ 2016-08-09 18:18     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-08-09 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2016 13:59:25 -0400
>
> > -This variable holds a list of functions to call before any buffer
> > -modification.  Each function gets two arguments, the beginning and end
> > +This variable holds a list of functions to call before most buffer
> > +modifications.  Each function gets two arguments, the beginning and end
>
> This looks wrong.  It should be called before *every* modification.
> syntax-ppss relies on this property, for example.
> And I can't think of any reason why we couldn't preserve that property.
>
> In which case is it not run?

In some cases when we delete text.  And a few special cases you can
see in coding.c.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 f785ff4: Clarify documentation of before/after-change-functions
@ 2016-08-09 19:02       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-08-09 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> In which case is it not run?
> In some cases when we delete text.  And a few special cases you can
> see in coding.c.

We should fix them, rather the documentation.