all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Recommended way to make pop-to-buffer use the current window?
@ 2021-07-16  4:05 Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2021-07-16  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi list,

what is the recommended way to create a wrapper around a function that
uses `pop-to-buffer' to make it use the current window to display its
buffer? I am asking because I want to add support for shortdoc to eev...
If I run this

  (shortdoc-display-group 'alist)

in a two-window setting in which the selected window is the one at the
left then the buffer "*Shortdoc alist*" appears in the right window,
and the selected window becomes the one at the right...

...and I would like to create a function that can be called like this,

  (find-shortdoc 'alist)

that would work like `shortdoc-display-group' but that would never
change the window setting and that would always use the current window
to shortdoc buffer...

If anyone is curious about why eev needs this, there is more info here:

  http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-here-links-intro.html#2
  (find-here-links-intro "2. \"Here\"")

  http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-eev-quick-intro.html#3
  (find-eev-quick-intro "3. Elisp hyperlinks")

Thanks in advance,
  Eduardo Ochs
  http://angg.twu.net/#eev

* Re: Recommended way to make pop-to-buffer use the current window?
@ 2021-07-16 13:46 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-16 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

You can let-bind `display-buffer-overriding-action` for that (it was
added specifically for those kinds of situations).

        Stefan

I think you can use the `other-frame-window` package for that.

@ 2021-07-16 14:48   ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-16 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor [2021-07-16 09:46:41] wrote:
> I think you can use the `other-frame-window` package for that.

Sorry, ignore this line,