all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Basic Q: how to visit .el file?
@ 2007-03-07 19:08 kj
From: kj @ 2007-03-07 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there an easy way to tell Emacs to visit some file in its load
path (without, of course, having to tell it specifically where to
look)?

Thanks!

kj

* Re: Basic Q: how to visit .el file?
@ 2007-03-07 20:11 ` Eric Hanchrow
       [not found] ` <mailman.617.1173299866.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-03-07 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    kj> Is there an easy way to tell Emacs to visit some file in its
    kj> load path (without, of course, having to tell it specifically
    kj> where to look)?

In CVS Emacs, C-x F (find-function) does exactly what you want.

--
When I just need to kick back after a long day of changing 1.s
into 0.s and 0.s into 1.s, nothing satisfies my primal fish urge

@ 2007-03-07 23:16   ` kj
From: kj @ 2007-03-07 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In <mailman.617.1173299866.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> writes:

>    kj> Is there an easy way to tell Emacs to visit some file in its
>    kj> load path (without, of course, having to tell it specifically
>    kj> where to look)?

>In CVS Emacs, C-x F (find-function) does exactly what you want.

Well, not exactly (it requires that I know the name of some function
in the file of interest), but certainly good enough.  Thanks!

@ 2007-03-08  6:45 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-03-08  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

kj wrote:
> Is there an easy way to tell Emacs to visit some file in its load
> path (without, of course, having to tell it specifically where to
> look)?

M-x find-library

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Basic Q: how to visit .el file?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-03-08  7:56 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-03-08  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Is there an easy way to tell Emacs to visit some file in its load
> path (without, of course, having to tell it specifically where to
> look)?

M-x find-library RET

        Stefan

PS: IIRC it's new in Emacs-22.