all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 23 - german characters - babel/rdictcc
@ 2007-08-26  0:44 Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-08-26  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 717 bytes --]

I can now type german characters just fine in emacs 23.

But when I invoke certain programs which talk to external processes such
as rdictcc, I get escaped characters back in the reply. e.g highlighting
"bridges" and invoking  rdictcc gives a buffer like:

,----
| DE-EN Translations:
| ===================
|
| EN-DE Translations:
| ===================
| bridges:
|     - Brücken {pl}
|     - überbrückt
| Don't cross your bridges before you come to them.:
|     - Kümmere dich nicht um ungelegte Eier.
`----

Can anyone suggest to why this is?I am rather confused about emacs
localisation. I can type DE  chars  in the *scratch* buffer with no
problems.

--
I'd horsewhip you if I had a horse.
		-- Groucho Marx

* Re: emacs 23 - german characters - babel/rdictcc
@ 2007-08-26  0:58 ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-08-26  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com> writes:

> I can now type german characters just fine in emacs 23.
>
> But when I invoke certain programs which talk to external processes such
> as rdictcc, I get escaped characters back in the reply. e.g highlighting
> "bridges" and invoking  rdictcc gives a buffer like:
>
> ,----
> | DE-EN Translations:
> | ===================
> |
> | EN-DE Translations:
> | ===================
> | bridges:
> |     - Brücken {pl}
> |     - überbrückt
> | Don't cross your bridges before you come to them.:
> |     - Kümmere dich nicht um ungelegte Eier.
> `----
>
> Can anyone suggest to why this is?I am rather confused about emacs
> localisation. I can type DE  chars  in the *scratch* buffer with no
> problems.

Hmm. They look alright to me above

the ü was in fact (in the buffer) backslash 374

--
Don't drink when you drive -- you might hit a bump and spill it.

* Re: emacs 23 - german characters - babel/rdictcc
@ 2007-08-26  1:58   ` B. T. Raven
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5338.1188104970.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2007-08-26  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron wrote:
> Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> I can now type german characters just fine in emacs 23.
>>
>> But when I invoke certain programs which talk to external processes such
>> as rdictcc, I get escaped characters back in the reply. e.g highlighting
>> "bridges" and invoking  rdictcc gives a buffer like:
>>
>> ,----
>> | DE-EN Translations:
>> | ===================
>> |
>> | EN-DE Translations:
>> | ===================
>> | bridges:
>> |     - Brücken {pl}
>> |     - überbrückt
>> | Don't cross your bridges before you come to them.:

I think native speakers use only the form:
We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

>> |     - Kümmere dich nicht um ungelegte Eier.

Isn't this "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched?"

>> `----
>>
>> Can anyone suggest to why this is?I am rather confused about emacs
>> localisation. I can type DE  chars  in the *scratch* buffer with no
>> problems.
>
> Hmm. They look alright to me above
>
> the ü was in fact (in the buffer) backslash 374

Looks fine even on mswind98 using Thunderbird.

* Re: emacs 23 - german characters - babel/rdictcc
@ 2007-08-26  5:03   ` David Hansen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5338.1188104970.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2007-08-26  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 02:58:16 +0200 Hadron wrote:

> Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> I can now type german characters just fine in emacs 23.
>>
>> But when I invoke certain programs which talk to external processes such
>> as rdictcc, I get escaped characters back in the reply. e.g highlighting
>> "bridges" and invoking  rdictcc gives a buffer like:

That's probably `rdictcc's (whatever it is) fault.  You can let bind
`coding-system-for-read' and `coding-system-for-write' to latin-1 to
tell Emacs to expect latin-1 encoded text from the process.

David

* Re: emacs 23 - german characters - babel/rdictcc
@ 2007-08-26  5:09 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-08-26  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> But when I invoke certain programs which talk to external processes such
> as rdictcc, I get escaped characters back in the reply. e.g highlighting
> "bridges" and invoking  rdictcc gives a buffer like:

Sounds like a bug in the way the `rdictcc' executable is run from Emacs
(probably incorrect coding-systems).

@ 2007-08-26 11:47     ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-08-26 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

> On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 02:58:16 +0200 Hadron wrote:
>
>> Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I can now type german characters just fine in emacs 23.
>>>
>>> But when I invoke certain programs which talk to external processes such
>>> as rdictcc, I get escaped characters back in the reply. e.g highlighting
>>> "bridges" and invoking  rdictcc gives a buffer like:
>
> That's probably `rdictcc's (whatever it is) fault.  You can let bind
> `coding-system-for-read' and `coding-system-for-write' to latin-1 to
> tell Emacs to expect latin-1 encoded text from the process.
>
> David

It works fine in emacs 22 for some reason.

* Re: emacs 23 - german characters - babel/rdictcc
@ 2007-08-26 14:39       ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-08-26 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com> writes:

> David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

>> That's probably `rdictcc's (whatever it is) fault.  You can let bind
>> `coding-system-for-read' and `coding-system-for-write' to latin-1 to
>> tell Emacs to expect latin-1 encoded text from the process.
>>
>> David
>
> It works fine in emacs 22 for some reason.

The following made it work. I must admit to not having a clue why - the
plethora of options for locales, coding, fonts etc is mind numbingly
complex :)

(When I say "why it worked", I never had this line before and it all just worked in
emacs 22 - so I guess it was picking up defaults from X or some such.).

(set-locale-environment "de")

--
BOO!  We changed Coke again!  BLEAH!  BLEAH!

* Re: emacs 23 - german characters - babel/rdictcc
@ 2007-08-26 14:57         ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-08-26 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

>>> That's probably `rdictcc's (whatever it is) fault.  You can let bind
>>> `coding-system-for-read' and `coding-system-for-write' to latin-1 to
>>> tell Emacs to expect latin-1 encoded text from the process.
>>>
>>> David
>>
>> It works fine in emacs 22 for some reason.
>>

> The following made it work. I must admit to not having a clue why - the
> plethora of options for locales, coding, fonts etc is mind numbingly
> complex :)
>
> (When I say "why it worked", I never had this line before and it all just worked in
> emacs 22 - so I guess it was picking up defaults from X or some such.).
>
> (set-locale-environment "de")

Sorry. It works with rdictcc, but not with Babel.el

If anyone could suggest a fix (babel.el 0.3 found here :
http://www.mail-archive.com/gnu-emacs-sources@gnu.org/msg00186.html ) i
would be grateful.