all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dir-locals and buffer-file-coding-system
@ 2009-10-26 14:15 doclist
From: doclist @ 2009-10-26 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a directory containing many files which use a different coding
system than my default. I would like to set them all to open with the
proper coding system.

I tried using

(dir-locals-set-class-variables
 'euc-jp-encoding
 '((nil . ((buffer-file-coding-system . euc-jp-unix)
           (coding-system-for-read . euc-jp-unix)))))

which correctly sets the coding system when the file is opened, as
evidenced by the modeline, but the glyphs are not correctly
rendered. They are however rendered correctly when using
universal-coding-system-argument to open the file.

I suspect my problem is that coding-system-for-read is applied after the
file is opened.

What is the correct way to handle file coding for files in a sub-directory?

* Re: dir-locals and buffer-file-coding-system
       [not found] <mailman.9520.1256583861.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-10-30  6:11 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-10-30  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> What is the correct way to handle file coding for files in a sub-directory?

Try file-name-coding-system

* Re: dir-locals and buffer-file-coding-system
@ 2009-11-01 13:23   ` doclist
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9854.1257083027.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: doclist @ 2009-11-01 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> What is the correct way to handle file coding for files in a sub-directory?
>
> Try file-name-coding-system

The documentation says that it is the "coding system for encoding file
names". I want set the coding system for file *contents*.

* Re: dir-locals and buffer-file-coding-system
@ 2009-11-01 13:43   ` doclist
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9854.1257083027.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: doclist @ 2009-11-01 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> What is the correct way to handle file coding for files in a sub-directory?
>
> Try file-name-coding-system

There seems to be a typo in the documentation string for
file-name-coding-system. It reads

  If it is nil, `default-file-name-coding-system' (which see) is used.

The "(which see)" part seems unintelligble to me.

@ 2009-11-01 14:24     ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2009-11-01 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

doclist wrote:
> There seems to be a typo in the documentation string for
> file-name-coding-system. It reads
>
>   If it is nil, `default-file-name-coding-system' (which see) is used.
>
> The "(which see)" part seems unintelligble to me.

it's not a typo, it's a literat translation of the latin phrase "quod vide", and
occurs quite often in emacs documentation.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)