all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs daemon.. but quietly
@ 2010-03-05 13:24 Gary .
From: Gary . @ 2010-03-05 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there any way to stop emacs, run with --daemon, printing out
details about all of the config files it is loading? At the moment I
see
  ("emacs" "--quiet")
(etc.) which is ugly since I want to start the server, when
appropriate, when I start my login shell by doing something like

  function serverExists {
    TMPDIR=${TMPDIR-/tmp};
    TMPFILE="${TMPDIR}/ps-output.$$";

    ps > ${TMPFILE}
    grep -q 'emacs-X11' ${TMPFILE}
    SERVER_STARTED=$?;
    rm ${TMPFILE}

    return $SERVER_STARTED;
  }

  if serverExists ; then
   export EMACS_SERVER="emacs already started"
  else
   emacs --daemon --quiet
   export EMACS_SERVER="emacs started here"
  fi
  echo $EMACS_SERVER

in my .bashrc.

Any ideas, anyone?

* Re: emacs daemon.. but quietly
       [not found] <mailman.2328.1267795489.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-03-05 14:09 ` Andre Ramaciotti
From: Andre Ramaciotti @ 2010-03-05 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Gary ." <emacs@garydjones.name> writes:

> Is there any way to stop emacs, run with --daemon, printing out
> details about all of the config files it is loading? At the moment I
> see
>   ("emacs" "--quiet")
> (etc.) which is ugly since I want to start the server, when
> appropriate, when I start my login shell by doing something like
>
>   function serverExists {
>     TMPDIR=${TMPDIR-/tmp};
>     TMPFILE="${TMPDIR}/ps-output.$$";
>
>     ps > ${TMPFILE}
>     grep -q 'emacs-X11' ${TMPFILE}
>     SERVER_STARTED=$?;
>     rm ${TMPFILE}
>
>     return $SERVER_STARTED;
>   }
>
>   if serverExists ; then
>    export EMACS_SERVER="emacs already started"
>   else
>    emacs --daemon --quiet
>    export EMACS_SERVER="emacs started here"
>   fi
>   echo $EMACS_SERVER
>
> in my .bashrc.
>
> Any ideas, anyone?

You could redirect the output of the command to /dev/null (if you're
using Linux or similar).

@ 2010-03-06 13:24 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-03-06 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Is there any way to stop emacs, run with --daemon, printing out
> details about all of the config files it is loading? At the moment I
> see
>   ("emacs" "--quiet")
> (etc.) which is ugly since I want to start the server, when
> appropriate, when I start my login shell by doing something like

>   function serverExists {
>     TMPDIR=${TMPDIR-/tmp};
>     TMPFILE="${TMPDIR}/ps-output.$$";

>     ps > ${TMPFILE}
>     grep -q 'emacs-X11' ${TMPFILE}
>     SERVER_STARTED=$?;
>     rm ${TMPFILE}

>     return $SERVER_STARTED;
>   }

>   if serverExists ; then
>    export EMACS_SERVER="emacs already started"
>   else
>    emacs --daemon --quiet
>    export EMACS_SERVER="emacs started here"
>   fi
>   echo $EMACS_SERVER

> in my .bashrc.

> Any ideas, anyone?

Why is the output a problem?  How do you "login"?

        Stefan

PS: You could avoid starting this daemon eagerly and do it lazily using
the "-a ''" parameter.  BTW your `serverExists' could instead do
"emacsclient --eval 1".

* Re: emacs daemon.. but quietly
@ 2010-03-22 13:09 ` Gary .
From: Gary . @ 2010-03-22 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 3/5/10, I wrote:
> Is there any way to stop emacs, run with --daemon, printing out
> details about all of the config files it is loading? At the moment I
> see
>   ("emacs" "--quiet")
> (etc.) which is ugly

Really? Nobody? :(

* Re: emacs daemon.. but quietly
@ 2010-03-22 18:29 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2010-03-22 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Gary .; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: emacs daemon.. but quietly
@ 2010-03-22 19:02   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-03-22 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

> On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 02:24:44PM +0100, Gary . wrote:
>> Is there any way to stop emacs, run with --daemon, printing out
>> details about all of the config files it is loading? At the moment I
>> see
>
> If I understand you correctly, you want to suppress stdout/stderr output
> of emacs --daemon?
>
> You might just redirect that to /dev/null like so:
>
>   emacs --daemon > /dev/null 2>&1
>
> (or did I misunderstand you completely?)
>
>>   ("emacs" "--quiet")
>> (etc.) which is ugly since I want to start the server, when
>> appropriate, when I start my login shell by doing something like
>>
>>   function serverExists {
>>     TMPDIR=${TMPDIR-/tmp};
>>     TMPFILE="${TMPDIR}/ps-output.$$";
>>
>>     ps > ${TMPFILE}
>>     grep -q 'emacs-X11' ${TMPFILE}
>>     SERVER_STARTED=$?;
>>     rm ${TMPFILE}
>>
>>     return $SERVER_STARTED;
>>   }
>>
>>   if serverExists ; then
>>    export EMACS_SERVER="emacs already started"
>>   else
>>    emacs --daemon --quiet
>>    export EMACS_SERVER="emacs started here"
>>   fi
>>   echo $EMACS_SERVER
>>
>> in my .bashrc.
>
> Hm. I don't quite understand this part. Besides, it seems a roundabout
> way. What are you trying to achieve?
>
> Regards
> -- tomás

As is emacs --daemon IMO.

In emacs 23 using the alternate editor setting. My "edit" script is:-

,----
| #!/bin/bash
| # edit
| export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1
| exec emacsclient --alternate-editor="" -c "$@"
`----

Its in the man page for emacsclient and the wiki.

--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
 - against HTML email  X

* Re: emacs daemon.. but quietly
@ 2010-03-23 15:25   ` Gary .
From: Gary . @ 2010-03-23 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 3/22/10, tomas wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 02:24:44PM +0100, Gary . wrote:
>> Is there any way to stop emacs, run with --daemon, printing out
>> details about all of the config files it is loading? At the moment I
>> see
>
> If I understand you correctly, you want to suppress stdout/stderr output
> of emacs --daemon?
>
> You might just redirect that to /dev/null like so:
>
>   emacs --daemon > /dev/null 2>&1
>
> (or did I misunderstand you completely?)

No, you understand perfectly. I'm pretty sure I tried that already,
but will try again. Thanks.

* Re: emacs daemon.. but quietly
@ 2010-03-23 15:28     ` Gary .
From: Gary . @ 2010-03-23 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 3/22/10, Richard Riley wrote:

> emacsclient --alternate-editor="" -c "$@"

> Its in the man page for emacsclient and the wiki.

Oops.

Oops, oops, oops.

I completely missed that. How embarrassing.

Thanks for the "hint". In my defence, who would want a different editor :-D

* Re: emacs daemon.. but quietly
@ 2010-03-23 18:30   ` Gary .
From: Gary . @ 2010-03-23 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> You might just redirect that to /dev/null like so:
>
>   emacs --daemon > /dev/null 2>&1

I was right, I had tried this, or something like it, and it didn't work,
at least not perfectly. It might be that I forgot to do the "2>&1", I'm
not sure, but anyway your way works just fine. It doesn't work if I try
it with the emacsclient --alternate-editor "trick", I just get dumped
back to the command line instead of it starting any kind of emacs. I
guess I will have to decide between the two methods. I'm leaning towards
mine (yours and mine), because it means there is never a delay when
starting emacs, which is somehow gratifying (I find a delay when
starting the first bash session of the day acceptable, although in fact
I might even try
 emacs --daemon > /dev/null 2>&1 &
meaning I might not even see that)

* Re: emacs daemon.. but quietly
@ 2010-03-26 14:44       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-03-26 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Gary ." <emacs@garydjones.name> writes:

> On 3/22/10, Richard Riley wrote:
>
>> emacsclient --alternate-editor="" -c "$@"
>
>> Its in the man page for emacsclient and the wiki.
>
> Oops.
>
> Oops, oops, oops.
>
> I completely missed that. How embarrassing.
>
> Thanks for the "hint". In my defence, who would want a different editor :-D

Heh, it's easily missed but very handy to know!