all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Schedule for Emacs 24 release?
@ 2010-10-01 13:29 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-01 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Is there any schedule for an Emacs 24 release?

* Re: Schedule for Emacs 24 release?
@ 2010-10-01 13:50 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-10-01 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Is there any schedule for an Emacs 24 release?

I don't think it makes much sense until bidi-display-reordering can be t
by default with good conscience.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Schedule for Emacs 24 release?
@ 2010-10-01 17:55   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-01 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 15:50:59 +0200
>
> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > Is there any schedule for an Emacs 24 release?
>
> I don't think it makes much sense until bidi-display-reordering can be t
> by default with good conscience.

And that still awaits 2 major developments (reordering of display
strings and bidirectional horizontal scroll), not to mention a few
minor ones.

Btw, I think Emacs 23.3 should be released as well, and before 24.1.

* Re: Schedule for Emacs 24 release?
@ 2010-10-01 17:56 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-10-01 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Is there any schedule for an Emacs 24 release?

No.  There is still quite a bit of work to do, at least in the areas
that I've been keeping a closer eye on.  (The packaging system still
needs some tweaks, I hope to populate elpa.gnu.org with a few major
packages that are in the process of copyright assignment, the CEDET port
needs to be improved and synched to upstream, etc...)

I personally hope that we will be ready early for pretest next year.
But, Stefan has been taking a look at lexical scoping, and I haven't
checked in with him about whether he plans to include that for Emacs 24
(Stefan?).  If it's added, I imagine that take at least a few additional
months.

* Re: Schedule for Emacs 24 release?
@ 2010-10-01 18:00   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-01 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I personally hope that we will be ready early for pretest next year.

That sounds like a reasonable thing to aim for.  By then the gnutls
stuff should have gotten a thorough testing, for instance.

* Re: Schedule for Emacs 24 release?
@ 2010-10-01 18:27     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-10-01 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: David Kastrup, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Btw, I think Emacs 23.3 should be released as well, and before 24.1.

It will.  I've discussed this with Stefan, and I think we might begin
the 23.3 pretest in, say, a month.  Stefan wants to include smie.el, and
needs a bit more time to polish it first.  (We'd also like to backport
some of the VC improvements from the trunk; the rest of 23.3 will be
mostly bugfixes.)

* Re: Schedule for Emacs 24 release?
@ 2010-10-01 23:02   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-10-01 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I personally hope that we will be ready early for pretest next year.
> But, Stefan has been taking a look at lexical scoping, and I haven't
> checked in with him about whether he plans to include that for Emacs 24
> (Stefan?).  If it's added, I imagine that take at least a few additional
> months.

Yes, lexical scoping is slated for inclusion in Emacs-24 (as an
"experimental feature" at least).  I hope to install it before Xmas.

* Re: Schedule for Emacs 24 release?
@ 2010-10-02  7:14     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-10-02  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> I personally hope that we will be ready early for pretest next year.
>> But, Stefan has been taking a look at lexical scoping, and I haven't
>> checked in with him about whether he plans to include that for Emacs 24
>> (Stefan?).  If it's added, I imagine that take at least a few additional
>> months.
>
> Yes, lexical scoping is slated for inclusion in Emacs-24 (as an
> "experimental feature" at least).  I hope to install it before Xmas.

Stupid question: how will it impact the Elisp debuggers?

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Schedule for Emacs 24 release?
@ 2010-10-03 14:24     ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2010-10-03 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

>> I personally hope that we will be ready early for pretest next year.
>> But, Stefan has been taking a look at lexical scoping, and I haven't
>> checked in with him about whether he plans to include that for Emacs 24
>> (Stefan?).  If it's added, I imagine that take at least a few additional
>> months.
>
> Yes, lexical scoping is slated for inclusion in Emacs-24 (as an
> "experimental feature" at least).  I hope to install it before Xmas.

What's holding it up?

* Re: Schedule for Emacs 24 release?
@ 2010-10-05 23:04       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-10-05 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

>>> I personally hope that we will be ready early for pretest next year.
>>> But, Stefan has been taking a look at lexical scoping, and I haven't
>>> checked in with him about whether he plans to include that for Emacs 24
>>> (Stefan?).  If it's added, I imagine that take at least a few additional
>>> months.
>> Yes, lexical scoping is slated for inclusion in Emacs-24 (as an
>> "experimental feature" at least).  I hope to install it before Xmas.
> What's holding it up?

Most concretely some paperwork for the closure-conversion code, but also
some clean up and simplifications.