all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Too large file for Org-mode?
@ 2012-11-11 12:42 twiki7619
From: twiki7619 @ 2012-11-11 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a very large file org-mode with more than 5000 lines
The file is structured with a heading and many lines that constitute a list:

* ONE HEAD
- yyyy
- bbbb
- cccc
- ....
- ....
- zzzz

When I try to export to HTML file that Emacs is virtually crash ... continues processing without ending

The file is too big? There are limits to the exported file?
Suggestions?

* Re: Too large file for Org-mode?
@ 2012-11-11 15:38 ` Jambunathan K
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-11-11 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: twiki7619; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Please move this question to Orgmode mailing list.

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/
    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/

I would assume that a 5000 line file is not really a big file.

The problem could be elsewhere.  You need to atleast say what version of
Orgmode you are using and whether you could reproduce the issue with
emacs -Q.

@ 2012-11-11 16:32 ` Jude DaShiell
       [not found] ` <mailman.12870.1352779432.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2012-11-11 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: twiki7619; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

You are living dangerously.  One good piece of malware gets into that
file and you've lost all of your work.  Since I have a background in
structured programming if I inherited that file, I'd separate it into
pieces that could be logically justified and back up each file in a
version control system before doing any additional work then use the
back up system to update files in that back up hierarchy.  You can make
a file with #+INCLUDE directives in it to attach all of those smaller
files together for export purposes and the order of the includes
determines the order the smaller files get exported.  The people that
wrote org-mode were seriously smart when they put this feature in.
Probably it is something you can read about in the limitations section
of the org-mode manual too.

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012, twiki7619@gmail.com wrote:

> I have a very large file org-mode with more than 5000 lines
> The file is structured with a heading and many lines that constitute a list:
>
> * ONE HEAD
> - yyyy
> - bbbb
> - cccc
> - ....
> - ....
> - zzzz
>
> When I try to export to HTML file that Emacs is virtually crash ... continues processing without ending
>
> The file is too big? There are limits to the exported file?
> Suggestions?

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Adobe fiend for failing to Flash

* Re: Too large file for Org-mode?
@ 2012-11-13  4:03 ` Bastien
       [not found] ` <mailman.12870.1352779432.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2012-11-13  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: twiki7619; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

twiki7619@gmail.com writes:

> When I try to export to HTML file that Emacs is virtually crash
> ... continues processing without ending

Beside Jambunathan's suggestion, which I support,
you can instrument the org-html.el exporter like this:

M-x elp-instrument-package RET org-html-

Then try to export the .org file to HTML, C-g if needed,
then M-x elp-results RET will provide some information
on the time spent by the exporter's function.  Maybe
on of them is buggy and will take too much time.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

@ 2012-11-14 16:21   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-11-14 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Then try to export the .org file to HTML, C-g if needed,
> then M-x elp-results RET will provide some information
> on the time spent by the exporter's function.  Maybe
> on of them is buggy and will take too much time.

And with Emacs-24.3 you can use M-x profiler-start RET instead (which
works differently, so it has its advantages and disadvantages: among the
advantages there's the fact that it will report data even on functions
which were interrupted by C-g before then finished, and the fact that
you don't need to specify (via elp-instrument) which functions you want
to profile).

* Re: Too large file for Org-mode?
@ 2012-11-23 10:03     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-11-23 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> Then try to export the .org file to HTML, C-g if needed,
>> then M-x elp-results RET will provide some information
>> on the time spent by the exporter's function.  Maybe
>> on of them is buggy and will take too much time.
>
> And with Emacs-24.3 you can use M-x profiler-start RET instead (which
> works differently, so it has its advantages and disadvantages: among the
> advantages there's the fact that it will report data even on functions
> which were interrupted by C-g before then finished, and the fact that
> you don't need to specify (via elp-instrument) which functions you want
> to profile).

I just tested M-x profiler-start RET - great!

I'm surprised there is no profiler-stop, but maybe that does not
make sense?  I'm not familiar with anything regarding profiling.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Too large file for Org-mode?
@ 2012-11-23 14:32       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-11-23 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bastien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I'm surprised there is no profiler-stop, but maybe that does not
> make sense?

There sure is a M-x profiler-stop.

* Re: Too large file for Org-mode?
@ 2012-11-23 16:35         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-11-23 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> I'm surprised there is no profiler-stop, but maybe that does not
>> make sense?
>
> There sure is a M-x profiler-stop.

Er, yes, I checked *before* running M-x profiler-start.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien