all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* display-buffer-function obsolete since 24.3
@ 2013-01-31 11:47 Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2013-01-31 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi there,

Before we have a single entry to control display-buffer now it seems it
has become complicated:

  display-buffer-overriding-action
  display-buffer-alist
  display-buffer-base-action
  display-buffer-fallback-action

Does this complexity offer a superset of display-buffer-function? For
example, what is a most reliable way to make display-buffer a noop?

Thanks,
Leo

* Re: display-buffer-function obsolete since 24.3
@ 2013-01-31 14:57 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-01-31 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Liu; +Cc: emacs-devel

> For example, what is a most reliable way to make display-buffer a noop?

The most reliable way is by let-binding
display-buffer-overriding-action.

This should only be done if you don't want your users to be able to
customize display-buffer-alist so as to display the buffer somewhere.

* Re: display-buffer-function obsolete since 24.3
@ 2013-02-06 20:08 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-02-06 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Leo Liu <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> Before we have a single entry to control display-buffer now it seems it
> has become complicated:
>
>   display-buffer-overriding-action
>   display-buffer-alist
>   display-buffer-base-action
>   display-buffer-fallback-action
>
> Does this complexity offer a superset of display-buffer-function?

Maybe calling it a superset would be too much, since you can do
everything possible with elisp with `display-buffer-function'.  The
point is that you can IMO do most common stuff more easily.

Did you read (elisp) Display Action Functions?  It's worth reading and
trying to understand, although it's indeed quite complex and abstract.
Using `display-buffer-alist' is quite comfortable once you got used to
it.

Regards,

Michael.