all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-24 r117265: Fix bug #17801 with extraneous newlines after inserting markup in Texinfo mode.
       [not found] <E1WxuUZ-0005uP-MW@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2014-06-20 13:39 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-06-20 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> -  \n _ \n "@end " str \n)
> +  \n _ \n "@end " str \n \n)

I think these extra \n should not be added.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-24 r117265: Fix bug #17801 with extraneous newlines after inserting markup in Texinfo mode.
@ 2014-06-20 14:23   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-20 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 09:39:26 -0400
>
> > -  \n _ \n "@end " str \n)
> > +  \n _ \n "@end " str \n \n)
>
> I think these extra \n should not be added.

If you mean that "\n" should have been used instead, then I agree and
will change these.  But if you mean these skeletons should not insert
newlines unconditionally, then please explain, because I tested these
changes and found them to DTRT.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-24 r117265: Fix bug #17801 with extraneous newlines after inserting markup in Texinfo mode.
@ 2014-06-20 15:50     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-06-20 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> > -  \n _ \n "@end " str \n)
>> > +  \n _ \n "@end " str \n \n)
>> I think these extra \n should not be added.
> If you mean that "\n" should have been used instead, then I agree and
> will change these.  But if you mean these skeletons should not insert
> newlines unconditionally, then please explain, because I tested these
> changes and found them to DTRT.

I think they should end with a single \n and nothing more, so they won't
add a newline when there's one already.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-24 r117265: Fix bug #17801 with extraneous newlines after inserting markup in Texinfo mode.
@ 2014-06-20 19:24       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-20 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 11:50:40 -0400

> >> I think these extra \n should not be added.
> > If you mean that "\n" should have been used instead, then I agree and
> > will change these.  But if you mean these skeletons should not insert
> > newlines unconditionally, then please explain, because I tested these
> > changes and found them to DTRT.
>
> I think they should end with a single \n and nothing more, so they won't
> add a newline when there's one already.

I added another \n in 4 cases: texinfo-insert-block,
texinfo-insert-@end, texinfo-insert-@example, and
texinfo-insert-@quotation.  All of these should have an empty line
after them.  So I think I disagree with what you say, and these
changes are actually correct.

In any case, "at eol" and "there is already a newline" is not the
same.  skeleton.el tests the former, which doesn't mean there's a
newline.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-24 r117265: Fix bug #17801 with extraneous newlines after inserting markup in Texinfo mode.
@ 2014-06-20 21:12         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-06-20 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I added another \n in 4 cases: texinfo-insert-block,
> texinfo-insert-@end, texinfo-insert-@example, and
> texinfo-insert-@quotation.  All of these should have an empty line
> after them.  So I think I disagree with what you say, and these
> changes are actually correct.

Ah, sorry, I didn't realize they needed an actual empty line after them,
in that case it looks correct, indeed.